AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up the Toshiba SDM-1612 for my Windows XP machine. It claims to support 16x DVD-ROM playback. When I use SmartRipper or DVD Decryptor, it only reads at at 3x. I tried adding both Adaptec's ASPI driver as well as Nero's, and that didn't change anything. I tried running CD-Brake as well as Nero's DriveSpeed. Both of these let me update the drive speed, and the app runs in the System Tray, but it still doesn't affect the ripping speed. I verified that DMA is enabled. I tried installing the Pioneer DVD Rom utility referred to in another thread, but it doesn't recognize my Toshiba drive.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Hindf:

___A dual layered DVD rip will show ripped speeds very similar to what you have experienced. If you watch the numbers during the rip, you should have ~ 2.5 – 3X at both the beginning and end of the the rip with a high of ~ 6 in the middle in a shallow triangle type graph. Data DVD’s like those created from a single layer DVD-RW disc will show the ~ 16X speeds but not a dual layered DVD by far.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Hindif, You are right about the Toshiba. In the tests I have seen on the drive they all mention a slow speed for DVD ripping. I would guess this is because the 1612 sees the disc as a movie disc and limits its playback accordingly in the 2-3x range. If you want faster ripping speeds the Liteon 163 and the 16x Pioneers have tested faster although they seem to top out at 6-7x speeds with dual layered media. I will say the Toshiba is one of the quietest drives and also seems to play just about any disc you put in it.If you are interested in ripping DVDs to load on to your hard drive you might check one of the other drives mentioned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yup, the rip speed of the Toshiba 1612 is very limited (about 2-3x max). I had bought the 1612 as a replacement for my 12x Toshiba thinking it would improve rip speeds. Quite the opposite. Remember the 12x topping out at about 7x.

I ended up just purchasing the BTC 316B 16x drive. So far so good, the drive seems quiet (not quite as quite as the Toshiba), but got peak rip speeds around 13x.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.