AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently set up my 1030Q with a line doubler and extron converter. I'm pretty satisfied with the image, but are concerned about one issue. I have a 109 Extron converter that I'm using in between the doubler and projector, and my question concerns the rgb voltage amplification and peaking adjustments on the extron. At first I set the peaking to the highest setting, .2V and I enjoyed what appeared to be a brighter picture on an otherwise dim looking picture. But I experienced problems with blue bleeeding off the edge of the screen, especially at the top. White scenes, such as windows, caused the blue to bleed off the edge of the crt phospher. The right edge of the picture would also bend and distort. Switching the blue gain to .1V stopped the problem. I assume this peaking is too much for the blue. I've still got red and green still set at the highest gain, but by switiching the gain off, I can see blue G2 is set higher to compensate for this difference. I would like to keep my blue wear to a minimum as I understand that its already driven the hardest. My 1030 gives most movies a perceptively darker look then experienced on a direct view or computer monitor, however I'm not going to drive contrast any higher than 75%. Does this extron peaking feature really make much of a discernable difference? I've considered purchasing some 1.3 gain screening material to replace my flat white canvas to get better contrast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The Extron interface has two adjustments on it, one for gain and one for peaking control. The gain actually amplifies the video signal, and if over done can cause blooming. The other control, peaking, actually amplifies the high frequency portion of the signal to make up for high frequency losses encountered with long cable runs. It's effect on the image is very similar to what the sharpmess control does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry the extron unit is the model 103. There are no seperate adjustments for peaking and gain. Each color has a 3 position switch, input equals output, .1V gain and 50% peaking, and .2V gain with 100% peaking. I've got the blue down to the medium setting since it wzas causing problems at 100% peaking and high gain but with the others on max I wonder if blue is being driven harder to match them. Switching the others down reveals a blue tint to the picture.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi,

That unit was not designed for what you are trying to do. Search Ebay and find yourself an RGB 108 or RGB 202 unit for about 50 bucks or so. Thay have the variable levels which is what you need.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.