AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been moving the sub around, and everywhere I've tried so far has been unsuccessful. I tried putting it on the couch and crawling around, but that didnt help much.

Just by looking at this basic drawing, do you think I have the sub in a decent location?

I tried directly behind the couch, but everything was muffled (and vibrations shook the wall + projector), and in front, there is a lack of volume/punch. I can put it anywhere in the room, to the sides of the couch, etc. If I put it in a corner, I always know where the bass is. Ugh.

Its hard to tell because I cant find a good track with loud, consistent bass

I also have the option of adding a second sub (vrp-1200)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Thats a pretty common spot for a sub. You will not have any phase issues or localization. Its impossible to tell from a picture if thats the best spot tho. I also could not place the sub with the "crawl method". I downloaded RoomEqwizard. Made it much easier.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Good source material - Tone Loc "Loc'd after Dark", Stereo MCs "Connected", and C+C Music Factory "Gonna Make You Sweat" are my favorite old school bass testing CDs. You need something with a beat that's consistent.

What are your receiver settings at? What crossover frequency do you have in the receiver, and on the subwoofer, and do you have your speakers set to "Small" or "Large"?

Greg

·
Premium Member
13,337 Posts
Try moving the sofa away from the back wall.

Craig

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/14242765

Try moving the sofa away from the back wall.

Craig

The picture is an awful drawing, the couch is about 6 feet away from the back wall.

I'm still trying more locations, but I hooked up the second sub and the sound got much smoother. I'm nearly happy now (without spending $1000 on a sub, at least)

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I would move the pool table to different room for starters! Then block of the smaller part of that room where sofa is maybe make (false stud wall) and fit a rack system in the wall.

Place the sofa on the other end the length; use the length of the room.

In the meantime move the sofa forwards that might make difference.

Also the left channel is in the same situation as my left front thou that will be addressed as soon as possible with stud wall because there is 18” that needs to be flush with the rest of the left sidewall or chimney breast.

Yeah you have real challenge on you’re hands.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14246379

I would move the pool table to different room for starters! Then block of the smaller part of that room where sofa is maybe make (false stud wall) and fit a rack system in the wall.

Place the sofa on the other end the length; use the length of the room.

In the meantime move the sofa forwards that might make difference.

Also the left channel is in the same situation as my left front thou that will be addressed as soon as possible with stud wall because there is 18 that needs to be flush with the rest of the left sidewall or chimney breast.

Yeah you have real challenge on you're hands.

That is so not happening, haha...putting in false walls...heh....

The couch is out 6 feet from the wall, any closer to my screen and people get dizzy (128")

With one sub in front and one in the rear, should I put them on opposite sides (left and right) or put them directly in line with each other?

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebronze /forum/post/14246669

That is so not happening, haha...putting in false walls...heh....

The couch is out 6 feet from the wall, any closer to my screen and people get dizzy (128")

With one sub in front and one in the rear, should I put them on opposite sides (left and right) or put them directly in line with each other?

Well looks like you're going to hath to fork out more dosh for more subs more of the same make and model don't expect miracles to happen with one sub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts