AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
"...Sigh. She doesn’t appreciate ULF..."

ULF emenations invariably lead to deep ULF appreiation...usually takes a good while to get there though.

Thank you very much

FURY

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
"...Sigh. She doesn’t appreciate ULF..."

ULF emenations invariably lead to deep ULF appreiation...usually takes a good while to get there though.

Thank you very much

FURY

I jest somewhat- quite honestly she was really jazzed by the BOSS!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Is it still cove lighting if it’s near the floor?

I went with a full-hipster reclaimed-wood facade for the floor soffit housing the main sewer line.

I did the same on the other side, even though there was no soffit.

My riser is the same height as the floor soffit, so i think the look will pull everything together.

I am now putting some kind of low altitude cove lighting over it using addressable led’s (think “chase lights”).

This is tedious.

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's coming along nicely. I really like the look of the floor soffit, especially with the lighting. I must have missed that you needed to hide the sewer line in there. That's a great idea.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #450
That's coming along nicely. I really like the look of the floor soffit, especially with the lighting. I must have missed that you needed to hide the sewer line in there. That's a great idea.

Thanks Jedi940 ! Yeah, the main sewer line is in there with a conduit, a bunch of wires running to the PJ/BOSS/subs, and a lot of R13.

It really worked out that the riser height i needed matched the height of the soffit (19”). This also happens to be how far i dug down the basement floor. It creates some nice horizontal sight lines i hope.

I am planning to replicate the reclaimed-wood+led-header on the other side as well

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm not sure if the color temperature differences between your sconces and the soffit lighting are intentional, but I'm LOVING that!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
I'm not sure if the color temperature differences between your sconces and the soffit lighting are intentional, but I'm LOVING that!

Thanks man! It’s intentional in that the really warm light just looked right on the wood and helped to counter the otherwise gray/blackness of the room.

Just wait until i have crazy motion effects on the lights (for movies beginning, doorbells, etc).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
We had a house built around 1900 when I was a kid, one day the entire second floor bathroom plaster ceiling let loose. Very loud bang and lucky no one was in there.

Surround and sconces pic looks great. Are those the square sconces from amazon?

Thanks! These are the cheapest, simple sconces i could find on Amazon:

Aipsun 6W LED COB Square Black Modern Up and Down Wall Light for Indoor Wall Mount Sconce Pathway Staircase Bedroom Living Room Balcony Home Lighting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N2DQH79/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_BwdmCRNTzA6X4

I needed them to pass inspection, but i wound up quite happy with them.

I’m planning to have the sconces come out a little on some very shallow faux-columns wrapped in fabric.

Plaster holds up really well... until it doesn’t.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
A quick side project: replacing the stock fans on my two Behringer NX3000s with Noctua fans.

It requires soldering together a jst connector to convert the 3-pin fan to two pins, but WOW did it make a difference! The noise floor in my functional-but-unfinished theater dropped A LOT. They are inaudible at my mlp now, whereas they were quite loud before.

Strongly recommended mod.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Damn that plaster coming off is nuts! I hate paster. Id rip it all down and dry wall it. My house is plaster as well.

Reactions: MinHeadroom

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Damn that plaster coming off is nuts! I hate paster. Id rip it all down and dry wall it. My house is plaster as well.

The only part of plaster that I like is usually that the underlying Frame is a balloon frame, which allowed me to run bundles of cat6 really, really easily :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Drats.

Only when putting in the coves for the ceiling LEDs did i realize, “crap, that really makes the off-center screen look bad, even worse once the LEDs are on.”

The planned ceiling coves are in primed white.

I don’t wanna ditch the ceiling coves- i really like that look. My options are moving the “minimalist screen wall” 11 inches to the left (the right post is too short so i’ll need to extend it or make a new one), or trying to build off of the existing screen wall.

Any better solutions?

441 - 460 of 518 Posts