AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It amazes me how many adults are so into kiddie movies. They watch them so many times with their little kiddies that they start taking them seriously and talking about them like they are regular movies.

Yes, i know the arguements will be that many are for adults too, and that a lot of the jokes go over the heads of the kids, and that there are major celebrities for the voices, but thats only because of watching so many of them and marketing that they are thought of as regular movies, gimmie a break, they are for kiddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am tired of hearing how great Shrek and Toy Story and a million others are, i have seen many of these, and no matter what you say, they are for kiddies!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Have you watched Iron Giant?

I don't know anyone under the age of 14 (and many much older) who can get the psychology in this film. Yet there is enough simple fun to keep the kids interested.

Chris.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy
Dude, Trix are for kids. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them as an adult, does it?

What exactly is your complaint?
My complaint is all the adults i know sitting around driving me nuts analizing these kiddie movies like they are serious adult movies, and talking about how great they are. I'm sorry, they are not! IMHO of course! :)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Simple solution: If you think the movie is beneath you, don't watch it. But don't just assume that there aren't things adults can enjoy just because a film is animated or it's target audience is kids. I think there is a certain art to making a film that a kid can watch and enjoy, but an adult can get a little more out of.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Maybe you should follow your own advise and "never take life seriously". I like these kiddie movies because they help me not take life seriously. They are fun movies. I also like to play video games, are those for kids only also?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You need to grow up, ironic isnt it.

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
My complaint is all the adults i know sitting around driving me nuts analizing these kiddie movies like they are serious adult movies, and talking about how great they are. I'm sorry, they are not! IMHO of course! :)
Maybe you just have really lousy taste in movies? Something to consider...

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I disagree. Did you ever watch DarkWing Duck? Did you ever watch the early cartoons from the 70s? Yes, they are cartoons, for kids, but they are also for adults to tolerate while their kids watch it. Half of the humor in a movie will fly over the head of a child. So then, who are these puns, sarcastic dry jokes meant for? Us, adults.

I don't care what you think, or say, Toy Story, Shrek, Nemo, Sharks Tale, all were fabulous movies and are a medium designed for kids, with dialog for the adult chaperones.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
Half of the humor in a movie will fly over the head of a child. So then, who are these puns, sarcastic dry jokes meant for? Us, adults.
Agreed 100%. Case in point:

My kids were recently watching Spongebob Squarepants, and this episode was basically Spongebob & Patrick having no luck selling chocolate bars. Patrick suggests trying the door-to-door sales naked and Spongebob replies "Nah, we should save that for when we're selling real estate." What youngster in Spongebob's prime demographic could a killer joke like that possibly be aimed at?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
First, I wish someone would change the title of this thread. It just sounds WRONG!

Second, of the movies I can watch more than once, a lot of them are cartoons--Monster's, Inc., Finding Nemo, etc. Part of it is the visuals. Now as far as non-animated youth aimed stuff, about the only thing I like is Ferris Buhler's (sp?) Day Off, which probably isn't aimed at the age group that is being discussed.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys, i knew i was going to start a hornets nest with this one, i knew i was going to get ripped. Doesnt bother me, i speak my mind no matter what. I am on another forum totally unrelated to this stuff, and for many years i have been number 2 in total posts on that forum, yet 90% of the time my opinion is the opposite of the majority! But instead of keeping it to myself like most in the minority do, i always open my big mouth. :D

Believe it or not, i am the nut at work, the kid at heart, everyone is always telling me i will never grow up, but when it comes to movies and tv, i just have a bugaboo about kiddie shows when people try to push them on me like my co-workers do. You dont know my co-workers!

And no, i never take life seriously! I am fairly new on this forum, so watch out for some tounge-in-cheek posts by me, and some posts trying to bring humour into the forum, but i always have truth at the heart of what i post, so in reality, i am tired of being overpowered by talk about these kiddie movies at work!! LOL I work with a bunch of people who all have kids or love kids, i in neither of those situations!

And obviously, everyone has the right to watch and discuss whatever they like, even if its stink-o. :p

Oh yeah, the post above that says baseball is for kiddies, well it certainly isnt, kids cant use steroids!! Plus baseball is by far the best sport of all, particularly if you have rooted for the Yankees since the mid 1950's. ;)

And video games? I love video games, golf, baseball, auto racing, Sim City, and things like Duke Nukem as long as i have the cheat codes so i can play as God.

And SpongeBob is ok, but the great cartoon is South Park. Have you seen what Cartman did in the new movie, The Aristocrats? Awesome!!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well, you did make a good point now, by saying that you don't have or love kids, because that is a big part of what makes some of us watch these films in the first place. I don't have kids of my own, but we have several nieces and nephews that live near us, and probably close to half of my collection is "kids" movies, for them, but I certainly enjoy a lot of them myself. Something like "The Incredibles" would be in my collection whether they were around or not. Of course, you mentioned "South Park" which is a great example of the fact that just because something is animated, doesn't mean that it is meant for kids. Another example of that is Cartoon Networks entire "Adult Swim" lineup.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Baseball is #2 to football, check the numbers, it's fact.

South Park is a cartoon for kiddies, you shouldn't be watching kiddy toons.

My biggest question, is if you aren't a fan of Nemo, Shrek, Incredibles, Toy Story, etc, why do you frequent a HT forum where some of those movies are considered reference material by 'adults'?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would say about 90% of the people here like those animated movies that were mentioned above, so it looks like your stats are not in jeopardy of changing.

·
Registered
28,064 Posts
Just curious, yankeeman, how old are you anyway?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I would've guessed early-mid 20s until I noticed the Duke Nukem reference. Seeing how that title hasn't been new for many years, I'll shoot for early 30s.

I completely rewrote this post because what I would like to express sounded a lot like character assassination. I'll try to put this as delicately as possible. It seems like yankee revels in bucking the mainstream. Regardless of the quality, if its enjoyed by a majority he'll find reason not to like it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Finding Nemo and The Incredibles over multiple viewings and have never watched them with anyone under 25. Friends and family, including in-laws in their mid 50s, have all enjoyed the presentation and never felt like it was aimed solely at kids.

March of the Penguins is rated G. Anthropomorphizing aside, I found it to be fascinating. Why should children be the only ones who could enjoy this movie?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman
Oh yeah, the post above that says baseball is for kiddies, well it certainly isnt, kids cant use steroids!! Plus baseball is by far the best sport of all, particularly if you have rooted for the Yankees since the mid 1950's. ;)
Based on this comment, he would be at least in his 50's.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.