AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find themselves as a Comcast subscriber sampling all of the new shows on ABC and NBC and not sampling any of the new CBS shows given that ABC and NBC are the ones that are available?

I do.

I checked out parts of Hope & Faith as well as Las Vegas as well as Alias all because they were available in HD (and about 3 other shows too) at my house.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Send the same note to your local CBS affiliate. Some stations refuse to believe that you wont watch their station because they are'nt in HD!

They think most are mindless viewers that will watch any crap signal they throw at us!

Let them know!

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is absolutely true. I think its not only how how enjoyable it is watching HD picture quality, but also how horrible CBS SD picture quality is, especially on a large TV through the Comcast Moto 5100 box. Six months ago I was debating an OTA box. This is no longer even a thought given the recent Comcast HD additions. Let's just hope this CBS issue gets resolved in the near future. If it does, Comcast will be in an excellent competitive position with satellite providers.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I agree 100% if it isn't in HD I will look for something else to watch.

Not sure if this is good news for you. But Bright House Networks, in Tampa FL just added CBS this weekend after over a year of negotiations. This might be a sign that CBS and Cableco's are coming to an agreement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess it all evens out. Because here on Long Island I get CBS and not ABC and NBC. So I find myself watching more CBS because it's in HD.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
The worst part is that CBS has some of the best HD programming. Especially in Sports (NFL, Golf, Tennis, College Basket Ball, etc) and that Grammy show. I get two CBS affliates OTA, so I feel for you Comcast customers. NBC's lack of HD Sports still leaves me rolling my eyes.

I'm sure CBS and Comcast will get it worked out in time for the SuperBowl.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting point...When I lived in Boston, I could get CBS OTA. My wife and I watched CSI every week. Since I moved, I can't get CBS OTA (even though I'm a little closer to the towers) and haven't watched an episode since. It's hard to get used to something in HD then go back to SD.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
(In addition to ABC and NBC) It is also: Advantage Fox-WS, PBS-HD, ESPN-HD, InHD-1, InHD-2, HBO-HD; Disadvantage CBS. I have a critical mass of HD choices now, so I don't feel as though I am missing anything on CBS.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the same situation with our local Fox affiliate. They do not broadcast digitally let alone HD. A representative from Fox basically said there are not enough HDTV users in the area so they don't care if I don't watch. They also made the point that they do not believe users will not watch their shows because they are not in HD. Great content will beat a great picture but if you have a new show coming out and it is not in HD I will not bother even trying it out. If I don't know what I am missing I am not missing anything. Their logic astounds me. Being an earlier (but not bleeding edge) adopter I am influencing the purchasing of every viewer who comes over to my house to watch HD.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
What, no HD this year to gear up for next year? As if playing some HD this year will detract from their ability in the future to show it???

More like they are going to try to get broadcast rights to some of Marc Cuban's coverage!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I surf and watch Comcast Boston from 802 to 883. If it ain't in HD there is only a very small chance that I will watch it. I wouldn't even think of checking out a new series that isn't in HD. Haven't watched anything on CBS in months. Don't even know what channel it is anymore.;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree. The longer CBS keeps its HD content off of Comcast, the less likely that I will watch anything on it. With more and more specialized HD channels becoming available on cable and satellite, the networks will continue to see their market share vaporize. It is almost criminal that CBS and NBC, television networks that were built by visionaries, are now run by the morons and bean-counters!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cjp
Does anyone else find themselves as a Comcast subscriber sampling all of the new shows on ABC and NBC and not sampling any of the new CBS shows given that ABC and NBC are the ones that are available?
Speaking just for myself, I rarely watch stations I cannot receive.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bastein
I agree. The longer CBS keeps its HD content off of Comcast, the less likely that I will watch anything on it. With more and more specialized HD channels becoming available on cable and satellite, the networks will continue to see their market share vaporize. It is almost criminal that CBS and NBC, television networks that were built by visionaries, are now run by the morons and bean-counters!
The most common opinion I have seen in the press is that CBS does not

like the extra bandwidth compression Comcast is using, ie., they are

demanding their signal quality be maintained. Whatever you think of

CBS's lineup, their off air HD quality on shows like CSI is head and

shoulders above the others, including and especially ABC Clip-o-vision.

CBS deserves our support. Comcast is in my area, they can pound salt

until they start treating HDTV correctly.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by samiam95124
The most common opinion I have seen in the press is that CBS does not

like the extra bandwidth compression Comcast is using, ie., they are

demanding their signal quality be maintained. Whatever you think of

CBS's lineup, their off air HD quality on shows like CSI is head and

shoulders above the others, including and especially ABC Clip-o-vision.

CBS deserves our support. Comcast is in my area, they can pound salt

until they start treating HDTV correctly.
Still others contend that CBS wants money for what otherwise should be a free channel. There are two sides to each argument. Since the government has only mandated "digital" and not uncompressed high-definition, one could argue that CBS has taken it upon themselves to dictate industry standards. I suppose they have a right to do that, just as I have a right watch a different channel.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
People have stated that Comcast isn't recompressing HD feeds. I suspect money is the issue.

Perhaps Ken H can chime in on this one.

My guess is that this issue will be resolved before CBS faces any worries about ratings.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,648 Posts
Ok, here we go again....

- Comcast currently carries CBS HDTV in a number of locations across the country.

- Comcast does not carry CBS in most of the O&O (network owned and operated) locations, which include the following markets: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay. (The Chicago CBS O&O station is an exception, grandfathered in from the old AT&T agreement)

- I have been told by 100% reliable sources that the negotiations between CBS and Comcast involve more than just HDTV issues, and the HDTV issues are not being discussed by themselves.

- Comcast claims, and I have no reason to doubt them, that they do not compress, rate shape, or otherwise diminish the HDTV signals they provide on their systems, so this should not be an issue between them and CBS.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
I have been told by 100% reliable sources that the negotiations between CBS and Comcast involve more than just HDTV issues, and the HDTV issues are not being discussed by themselves.
Since this topic keeps coming up, it would be enlightening to know just what those other issues are. Does Viacom/CBS view CBS-HD as a value-add cable channel worthy of the .80 per subscriber fee that Disney/ESPN-HD gets?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.