AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some give tell me why I would want to use TVersity when I have WMP11 working perfectly and it seems to play everything except some Xvid (expected)?

What does Tversity do in simple terms that would make me get it instead of WMP11?

·
Registered
895 Posts
First, a disclaimer: I have never used TVersity (I am a happy WMP 11 user).

I suppose that TVersity could transcode those xvids that don't work. I think that would be the only advantage. What's up with the xvids that won't play? Everything I have has worked no problem. This is streaming wirelessly over a "B" network, even. When I start an xvid, it takes a few seconds to get going (buffering the stream?), then it starts, and the PS3 adds a "DIVX" logo to the bottom right for a few seconds. I just watched "Evan Almighty" two nights ago this way (thankfully I didn't buy it!), and it streamed perfectly.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
first off, the ps3 does not add a divx logo to the bottom of the movie. that's how it was encoded, and it's added by the divx encoder.

also, with wmp11 i've been getting crashes left and right (and windows tells me it's a problem with the new divx and that they're working on a fix). finally, about 8 out of every 10 times, the ps3 will give me a "media server error (500)" message.

since switching to tversity a few days ago, i've had no issues, plus i have the added bonus of 1) being able to play EVERYTHING and 2) no more 2gb file size limit

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I have loaded Tversity and it seems cool enough....BUT. it still wont play my .avi Xvid file. Media type not supported is the message I get.

I read the tutorials (all of them) and even deleted some lines from profiles.xml and nothing works.

So the bottom line for me is: Why use Tversity when it does not seem to play anything that WMP 11 cannot play?

Or

Am I doing something wrong?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts