AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, yet another one of these threads!

So after weeks and weeks of reading every BluRay/HDDVD threat on the forum I still cant decide on whether it is a good move to get a BR/HD drive for my HTPC.

So far the only advantage I see is that its all integrated (one less box in the house).

For disadvantages I think its easy to see its the software - not all disks will "just work".

Am I missing anything? Any advantages I cant see?

I really want a drive for the HTPC as one drive = simple = happy GF. But it seems more and more likely that the PS3 is the answer.

Having a cheap combo HD/BR drive used to be an advantage, but not so much now that HD-DVD is pretty much gone.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I don't think the PS3 is capable of playing back Bluray titles from alternate regions. AFAIK, this is still possible in an HTPC with Bluray drive and AnyDVD HD.

It may not be important to USA customers as they seem to get most titles released in their own region, but for somewhere like Australia where title releases occur months after the USA and UK and are more sparse, the ability to import and play from a different region is incredibly useful.

So, if you live in the USA a PS3 is probably the best bet.

·
Registered
651 Posts
if it is a matter of having a future-proof, "just-works" BR player, PS3 is the only game in town. The future is too murky for HD DVD - you can simply wait few months to see where it all is heading. GGC-H20L will prolly drop to $150 by then, which just might make the whole thing moot. For a movie buff, the range of movies already available exclusively on HD DVDs well justifies spending few extra bux to have a multi-format reader.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm I think I'll hold off as long as I can, see how things play out. If the hd software improves then I'll edge towards the LG drive.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The main reason to really get one is if you want to keep an HTPC as a hobby. I originally went this route in order to avoid upgrading my receiver to one with HDMI, of course I didn't realize PDVD would downsample the audio.
But I still think it was a good choice for me. I'm somewhat reluctant to invest a lot into a new receiver when HDMI seems to still be evolving.

As noted, there are a lot of questions about the future of HD on the HTPC, the problems playing the latest release and the decision to disallow playback of ripped discs. Being on the "bleeding edge" is fun, isn't it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently bought an Optoma HD80 projector,and when I hooked my laptop (HP dv9740us) up to it it looked gorgeous. The only problem is that it won't let me project my blu rays movies from computer to projector. Someone told me it might be because i am using HP quickplay, but what software should i use? Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would say cost. It is cheaper to get in the BR game with a BDROM then to buy a standalone or a PS3. I have a PS3, but its because I buy the occasional game.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Madman - there're PowerDVD, Arcsoft's new player and Nero Showtime with BR plugin.

All have dedicated threads in this forum with all the info you ever need

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uegis /forum/post/12961059

I would say cost. It is cheaper to get in the BR game with a BDROM then to buy a standalone or a PS3. I have a PS3, but its because I buy the occasional game.

That's somewhat misleading, it really depends on the situation. You can get a standalone BD player for $400-500, and a good one at that. Sure you can get a BD drive for the PC for more like $150-200 (I think), but you may need to add to that the cost of a new PC. I know I will, I'd need to replace my motherboard to get a decent video card to be able to play BD or HD DVD. Once you get into that things change a bit, you're at $300 easy just for the drive and the video card, and then if you need to buy the rest of the PC, you're approaching $1000 quick. Oh, and don't forget the $100 for the software to play it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts