AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a large computer monitor like the Dell 30" UltraSharp, but it was too pricey. So for less than 20% of the cost of the UltraSharp, I decided to experiment with a cheap 1080p 32" Westinghouse VR-3225 TV. Here is what I found:

Windows XP VGA out 1920x1080: Full screen, crystal clear, razor sharp picture. In short a fantastic result!

Windows 7 HDMI out 1920x1080: I was surprised to find that the text is not quite as sharp as the VGA driven display. Color in VGA also seems to be a little more vibrant.

Edit: When driven with a DVI to HDMI cable, text became sharp! So it appears this set does Chroma 4:4:4. Further testing confirms that this set does 4:4:4 through HDMI fed with a DVI signal.

Summary: I am quite pleased (considering the cost) with my new 32" monitor. The first one had major pixel/screen defects, the second one was a charm with zero defects. My 22" monitor looks so tiny now!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Westinghouse VR-3225 32" LCD TV as Computer Monitor

I am thrilled with the quality of this display after getting all the video chroma subsampling details sorted out. When I look at my high resolution desktop photo, I get goosebumps!

The first photo shows a failed Belle Nuit Chart using a straight HDMI cable feed which forces the TV into Chroma 4:2:2 treating the feed as if it were a video signal such as a DVD player for example.

The second photo shows a passed Belle Nuit Chart using a DVI HDMI cable feed which allows the TV to do Chroma 4:4:4 treating the feed as if it were a computer signal.

This sub $300. TV has been a revelation to me, providing stunning resolution and text clarity at a fraction of the cost of some of the alternatives out there. It's a keeper!

P.S. 32" doesn't seem so big now....I wonder how the 37" model would do as a computer monitor?

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter /forum/post/21116106

P.S. 32" doesn't seem so big now....I wonder how the 37" model would do as a computer monitor?

For computer monitor use I've always found 32" too small and 40" too big. I find 37" to be the sweet spot. I still currently use an old 37" Westinghouse because I haven't been able to find another 37" that's even comparable for text quality.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too am beginning to think that 32" is too small. I have my eye on the Westinghouse VR-3725 which is the 37" version of the 32" one I have now. If the 37" performs as good as the 32", I'll be happy.

These sets must be purchased locally at a place with a good return policy.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best Buy has the Westinghouse 37" in stock at most stores. Dlipter, are you going to pick it up? Also, what is the input lag like for gaming on these?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't intend to hijack the thread but I have a 42" westinghouse TV that I will replace soon and was thinking about using it as a monitor. The only concern is that it might be too big. Has anyone tried 42" TV for monitor ?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what the input lag is for this set.

I am thinking about picking up a 37" @ BB.

My set developed a stuck dim pixel over the weekend.

I don't know how to get any better picture than the ones I posted. I'm very inexperienced with cameras.

What I can say is this set has very good off axis viewing compared to my lcd computer monitor.

These are the best pics I could take. Suggestions on how to improve?

Dennis

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I had the camera in the macro mode (flower symbol). Camera:Canon PowerShot A630.

Not sure why all the fuss over panel type...I can report that for general (non game) internet usage that includes UTube videos, the panel has been fine for me. Sharp vibrant colors, no motion anomolies, much much better than the (cheap) lcd computer monitor it replaced.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Your jpg photos have a resolution of 100x600 which is blurry on my 1600x900 laptop screen, so what looks good to you does not good to us.

·
Banned
54 Posts
It's rather telling when users starts buying TVs as computer monitors! This regression to "full HD" is dismal. 2500x1600 monitors are priced >1K with virtually no change from 6 years ago -- situation rather unique in electronics. Hope that 4K would bring new blood to the field.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The photos don't look good to me either! I just don't know how to improve them.....sorry.

30" Dell UltraSharp $1500.

32" 1080P TV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, we are basically nowhere in determining what panel is used, input lag, or if this display is any good for FPS gaming etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsong1169 /forum/post/21149330

Don't intend to hijack the thread but I have a 42" westinghouse TV that I will replace soon and was thinking about using it as a monitor. The only concern is that it might be too big. Has anyone tried 42" TV for monitor ?

I've tried 40' for a monitor, a Samsung, and it looked really good but sitting at a desk it was just too big. It's hard to read on something that big, found myself only reading the left side of the screen for some reason.

Not to hijack the thread but I just picked up a 32" Samsung D550 that replaced a 24" Dell and I have to say I love this one. I think it's the perfect size.

32" is the sweet spot for me, I also wanted the 30" Dell but it's still way too much $$$, so got this for less than a third of the price!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On a whim I tried a 37" Insignia from BB. No chroma and for me, 37" is too big.

32" is the sweet spot for me too.

Go to dealnews......nuf said! I ordered 2!

It's quite possible that this set has low QC standards on the panel. No problem if purchased locally.

After about a week my set developed a stuck dim pixel.

Feel free to discuss ANY TV as computer monitor.

Correct...I'm not a gamer.

My only interest is in a TV as computer monitor on the cheap. For me...it's a no brainer especially considering today's dealnews.

Edit: That super deal lasted only for a few hours on Sunday till it sold out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I did...I ordered two!

Sold out in a few hours.

I don't see the extended warranty listed, how much is it and why is it a must have?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter /forum/post/21101831

Windows 7 HDMI out 1920x1080: I was surprised to find that the text is not quite as sharp as the VGA driven display. Color in VGA also seems to be a little more vibrant.

Edit: When driven with a DVI to HDMI cable, text became sharp! So it appears this set does Chroma 4:4:4. Further testing confirms that this set does 4:4:4 through HDMI fed with a DVI signal.

dlipter, most of my notebook does not have DVI out. Do you think a VGA to hdmi does Chroma 4:4:4? TIA

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 /forum/post/21177530

VGA to HDMI is not possible unless you buy a transcoder/converter $$$. A simple adapter cable will not work.

BUT

If your notebook has VGA then just use VGA-to-VGA since dlipter has already demonstrated that the TV has 4:4:4 using it's VGA input. This will be your simplest, least expensive, and best option.

LOL....nevermind....I misread his statement....thanks for the reply

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not absolutely certain the set does chroma 4:4:4 through VGA. Text is sharp and the 'color text chart' is clear & sharp, but the Bel-Nuit chart is not as clean as with DVI-HDMI. The important thing is that the set accepts 1920x1080 through VGA, and the text is sharp & clear. I am quite happy with the VGA image quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlipter /forum/post/21178173

I'm not absolutely certain the set does chroma 4:4:4 through VGA. Text is sharp and the 'color text chart' is clear & sharp, but the Bel-Nuit chart is not as clean as with DVI-HDMI. The important thing is that the set accepts 1920x1080 through VGA, and the text is sharp & clear. I am quite happy with the VGA image quality.

That's cool.....I bought one from amazon (PM with BB) for $200. It won't ship til 5-8 weeks but I'll have time to see if I can find anything better come BF. Seem like it's a great set for the price.

Did you find a setting that work better than default? Did you find a fix for the setting bug that a lot of people talking about (settings return to default every time the set power off)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Chroma 4:4:4 is a digital signal. VGA will output the analogue equivalent but its best to use a thick cable to eliminate signal interference.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts