AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, it seems silly to me. I have heard them and you have to, its not just Tivio I have heard this as a selling point for ReplayTV also. I was watching TV last evening "recorded on ReplayTV" (I actually do not watch live anymore, go figure) and and advertisement for the Directv's Tivio came on and the main selling point to the whole product and I mean the only point they made was that "now you can automatically record your shows and watch it when you BOTH are available". Well, none us us would be here if we weren't somewhat of a passionate person when it comes to recording TV shows and I am sure all of us use to do this exact same thing with our video recorders. I mean before replay I had my two VCR's set up to record all my shows every week so I would not be tied down to the television and could actually live a life on my own terms.

Now, to use this as a selling point for replay and tivio sounds pretty LAME to me, 'cause you can do the same thing on the ole trusty VCR and no its not hard at all to set up those VCR's to do just that we all know that. The biggest selling point for ME was 1) the ability to pause live TV 2) Using my replay as a little robot, tirelessly searching for a movie I wanted to see, and it would automatically find it for me, and record it. Then one day I would wake up and be totally amazed at what it had done

:D . Point is, these are pretty amazing machines and using a LAME reason like that seems pretty silly, useless, and not very smart to me. You are going to have to let consumers know this is an amazing device and let them know why they should give up their perfectly good VCR (which only cost less than 100.00) for a machine that in their opinion does the same thing for 500.00. Follow me?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
1) Vast majority rarely, if ever, actually record things with their VCRs.

2) Being able to begin watching a show as it's recording is a very powerful feature, yet isn't mentioned enough, IMHO.

3) Being able to watch something previously recorded while the recorder is busy recording something else would take two VCRs, plus some extra wiring, etc. that most people wouldn't do.

4) What's a "Tivio"? :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree w/ most of what you say. Point is, they are not mentioning the benefits that are unique with these machines. The ONLY point made is a feature that CAN be done on 90.00 VCRs. I mean, I can pull up my timer function on the VCR and tell it to record "Enterprise" every week at the same time, and the same channel in as little as 30 seconds. If Sonic Blue and Tivo want their products to get out of a niche market, they need to do a better job of selling their products. I disagree that people purchase VCRs and just stare at them for years. Sure there are a lot of these that use them as players only, (and I know that is what you meant) but before there was replay and tivo, all of us on this forum more than likely used our VCRs to the fullest.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.