AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I was originally going to post before browsing through many hundreds of threads on this RPTV subject:

"Hello,

I am new to this part of the forum, so any help and/or criticism is much appreciated. I am in the market for a new TV to complete my Home Theatre. I am looking for a 16:9 set in the 55-73" range (60-65" ideally). HDTV compatabiliy preferred, not for HDTV programming, but moreso for my progressive scan DVD player. 9" guns, they seem clearer. Anything under $5500 is preferred. Now the technical stuff:

I have a very capable audio system for the home theater, so can I save money with any model lacking speakers? I see most of these large sets come with speakers just as large as the screen itself. I don't need them.

I hear that some models, while viewing a digital sports feed for example, "break up" the picture. Any models to stay away from?

I know these questions are asked 10 times a day, but when I looked for info, I had trouble narrowing anything down. Any advice from owners with anything remotely close to what I am looking for?

Sincerely,

Steve Burtson "

Now after seeing all the bugs that these large TV's have, I think I am going to stick with my little 27" WEGA. If someone can truly convince me that spending $3000-$5500 on a TV that is going to need repair after a year is worth it, all the glory to you!! I cannot at this time see spending that much money on something that is not going to last me at least 5-10 years and that I don't need to spend much dollars on an ISF every 6 months or so. Please do me some convincing, or to steal a line from the old crone in Monty Python's Holy Grail, "DO YOUR WORST!" :) Have a good one.

Sincerely,

Steve Burtson

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Buy one! You will love it. As long as you are not a nitpicker, you should really enjoy your set. Nothing is perfect and during the transition to all widescreen digital broadcasts, there is compromise.

Many of the so-called experts on this board enjoy constantly tweaking their sets and looking for flaws. It is not nessecary. Just get the set home, use avia to set it up and then enjoy the set.

I went from a 27 incher to a Pioneer Elite 53". What a difference.

baimo

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as you. I have a 35" CRT that I'm looking to upgrade to a 65" RPTV, and I've read a ton here and many other places trying to figure out the best bet. Looks like HDTV is finally catching on, and the sale of all these 16:9 screens are only going to push it forward. Try to get a DVI connector which should support future implementations, but realistically everyone I've talked to has said that there will be upgrade components if any of the standards change, so don't fret too much over it. The new sets are coming out right about now though, so check around.

Personally, after reading all the information, I'm pumped about my upcomming purchase. I've decided to go for the Pioneer Elite, which seems to be the "king of the hill" right now but at a premium price. The best price I've seen for a 65" Elite is around $5000 but that's on the internet. The new models are rumored to be coming out this fall, since the newest price sheets don't list any new models for them. Anyhow, if you go with an Elite, I'm pretty sure that you will be very happy, based on everything that I was able to investigate. That's what I'll be doing.

Ron

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
Steve,

Anything has to be better than watching DVD's on a 27" analog TV. Like pretty much everyone else though, I swear by the Pioneer Elites. There's a price drop effective July 1st and the MAP on the PRO520, 620 and 720 will be $5000, $6000 & $7000 respectively. Reliability is as good as any good directview set. I've been selling Pio Elite's for about 7 years now and rarely have any problems. I would recommend against buying from an internet dealer as the TV is a sizeable investment and it's a good idea to have the support of a reputable local dealer (set-up questions and things like that). A nice alternative and more bang-for-the-buck would be some of the new Sony models coming in the next few months. The best non-XBR model is the forthcoming KP-65WV700 which will list @ $4699 (the KP-57WV700 will list for $4199)! It has 7" CRT's but looked pretty damn good when I saw it at the Sony show in March. It had the I-Link (DVI) input and auto convergence (plus a host of other features) and is really attractive at even the list price. Availability is July/August.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
238 Posts
You know, I really in the same boat as you. I've been psyching myself up to get a wide screen set but the more research I did the more discouraged I became. Every set seems to have the little problems as described in these forums and watching NTSC (480i) content is pretty dismal IMHO. Also, there are some ongoing IEEE vs. DIV vs ? wars and there still vary limited HD content to be had.

So, for me, I'm going to forgo the Toshiba or Elite $3000-$4000 sets and get a nice little Samsung unit for $1799 from Costco or someplace. If it goes bad or becomes obsolete in the next 12 months back it goes. And, when the manufacturers and Hollywood get they act together I can sell it and get a better unit in 2006. As for NTSC, I still have my 27: in the bedroom... ;)

Regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I WILL be going with a RPTV in the next year. I will be looking into the Pioneer Elites more than likely.

Steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
From my readings on the Internet, most of the RPTVs current and past seem to have problems of one kind or another that require owner-involvement to correct. By this I mean more than just making a service call; most problems seem to require the owner to inspect/manage the service people to make sure problems get taken care of properly.

If you are very technical and willing to invest a lot of time you can fix/adjust many/most of these issues yourself. Otherwise be ready to spend bux for after-sales repairs, modifications, and picture quality adjustments.

The one RPTV line that seems to require the least amount of after-sales work is the Pioneer Elite. Maybe that's why they are more expensive MSRP-wise than other brands.

Welcome to this expensive but very rewarding hobby :>)

Don

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
Don,

I've been selling Pionner Elite, Sony & Toshiba RPTV for the last 6-ish years (more specifically, the HD-ready models for the last few years) and I can't say that I've come across the kinds of problems you're describing. I do agree that the Elite's are the least problematic and if you're a tweaker, you can spend lot's of time "tweaking" the Elite to get it dead-on perfect, but no real problems to speak of. As far as "after-sales repairs", with the exception of an occasional broken mirror or bad power supply, I've definitely not experienced and of that. Granted, I don't sell Hitachi, Panasonic, RCA/ProScan or Mitsubishi so I don't have any specific experience with those sets.

Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently bought a 64" Pio. I had all the concerns previously mentioned. I compromised and got a non-elite. I bought it sight unseen after months of reading forums such as this. At 65 I decided that life was too short to wait for all the "improvements" that may be coming along. The compromise was the price, decidedly cheaper than the Elite. I love it and can't imagine a nicer looking picture. My 36" Wega looks great in the bedroom. Oh yeah, I'm a tweaker by nature, I enjoy making the picture look the way I like it and it's more fun than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.