AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reorganizing my system starting from the wall receptacles (rewiring is not a possibility) but quickly ran into a conundrum. Is it better to source power for my system from several different circuits or one dedicated circuit?

More info: I have three possible options. Two 15 amp circuits (1 shared with a couple of lights the other with several wall receptacles including a pc) & one dedicated 20 amp circuit (but only a single duplex outlet). I have two mono blocks, a power amp, preamps, digital & analog audio sources, & digital HT gear.

Should I distribute my system across these three circuits or try & source them all from the single dedicated 20 amp outlet? If distribute, what kind of break down makes sense?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I do like to put lights on a separate circuit so all dimmers and such are isolated. And have the room outlets be ideally a single 20amp circuit if possible unless your system is really large with big amps and you need more circuits for that.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonsc /forum/post/19633455

I am reorganizing my system starting from the wall receptacles (rewiring is not a possibility) but quickly ran into a conundrum. Is it better to source power for my system from several different circuits or one dedicated circuit?

More info: I have three possible options. Two 15 amp circuits (1 shared with a couple of lights the other with several wall receptacles including a pc) & one dedicated 20 amp circuit (but only a single duplex outlet). I have two mono blocks, a power amp, preamps, digital & analog audio sources, & digital HT gear.

Should I distribute my system across these three circuits or try & source them all from the single dedicated 20 amp outlet? If distribute, what kind of break down makes sense?

First thing to do is confirm how much of a load you draw with one of those Kill-a-watt power monitors (usually about 20 bucks from Ace, Sears, Home Despot) I'd be surprised if your total entertainment system load is over 10 amps. You COULD probably be fine with dedicated 15 amp service feeding a 8-12 plug surge protector.

Just like the simple plug in indicator light ($5) that confirms your outlets are polarized and grounded corectly, the "Kill-a-watt" indicators are a handy tool to have when you're playing around with house wiring. Your Home Insurance Company will love you , as well as your wife aand kids. NEVER overload a circuit. If I sound anal about safety...shucks...I am. No doubt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts