AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am almost done fixing my extra screening room. From a psuedo-movie room with a 92 inch mitsubishi dlp. To a room more properly ready for a projector sized screen. I have only a few more things to finish before it is complete, but just noticed maybe I should ask a few questions related to what projector fits my needs before I finish renovating. If the needs of my projector are too harsh I have to change the next plans of mine and maybe avoid a projector all together.

My fiance has an opportunity to get a 138 inch or 142 inch 1.0 gain 2: 35:1 screen from a friend who cannot use it (I think it is 138 inch) that screen measures 54"Hx126.9"W. So that would be the screen we use

My ceiling is 7 feet high. Projector to screen distance would be 11-12 feet. Could be a few feet more but that would not be ideal.

She was hoping for 3d.

She notices the rainbow effect sometimes on pure white movie/game. But usually not so much.

Things like clearmotion/motionflow are not exactly needed. But I know she likes them for specific instances. I am not sure if projectors even have that interpolating stuff.

Our room is very dark, almost pitch black whenever needed as we have dimming lights. But I know 3d will make it dark, and I also enjoy a slightly brighter image.

Is there any projector that even comes close to those needs? 138 inch 2:35:1 screen ability at 11-12 feet, fast color wheel (or lcd PJ), 3d, bright? Obviously the cheaper the better, but not so cheap that PQ suffers.

If the 11-12 feet is the problem. I might renovate it so the projector can be 17-24 feet away from the screen. But that really would cost a lot. So much that I might just decide to not get a projector at all.

I appreciate any replies, and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
The BenQ W1070 wants 12' 2" minimum throw distance for that size screen.

The BenQ W1080ST (short-throw) wants 7' 4" to 8' 10".

The BenQ W1500 wants 11' 4" min for that size screen. Plus, it has Frame Interpolation (smoothing). At a throw distance of 11' 9" it can also zoom to project a 16:9 image to full screen height (Constant Image Height).

All have 3-D.

(Figures courtesy of Projector Central's calculator)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
There is no automated focus memory in these entry-level PJs. You have to refocus/rezoom them manually to go from widescreen to hidef. Indeed, most of them don't have the throw range to accommodate such a rezooming from a fixed position (like the W1500).

I don't think brightness will be a problem, especially if you have a dark-toned decor.

I'm not so sure I personally would go with that widescreen -- depends on how avid a movie-watcher you are. I would probably go with a taller, less wide screen (which would be larger in 16:9 than yours) and put in some kind of horizontal screen masking for movies. Or, simply a taller screen to accommodate 16:9; then you could just slap masks on the screen for widescreen movies and not have to futz with the PJ. But that's just me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts