AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day All!

Been a longtime reader of this forum, and have enjoyed the advice and knowledge that has been so graciously shared by the very well-informed and experienced members. I have a scenario where I would like to get your expertise on. I just purchased a new home that was already complete and I didn't have the opportunity to customize the low voltage/speaker setup. I'm fairly handy, so I constructed a new built-in cabinet setup on the TV wall, where the top is about 32" off the ground. prior to building the cabinets, I mounted my TV a couple feet above where the cabinet to would be. It looks great.

Problem is, with the size of the TV, I now only have about 12" between the cabinet countertop and the bottom of the TV. More to the point, my TV had to be mounted off-center to the left from the center of the built-in because the builder installed the recessed can lights off-center to the left of the room. If I were building this home, that would have been corrected and moved to the right.

Now, because of my limited space, I cannot use my current NHT SB2 bookshelf speakers vertically because they hit the bottom of the TV. When I take off the little rubber feet, I do get about 1/2" of clearance, but it still looks a little ridiculous/cluttered. The speaker is not able to sit to the left of the TV on the countertop because the cabinet ends at 3/4 of the speaker. With that, the WAF dips significantly. She told me to go ahead and get some new speakers that are nice and more compact for Father's Day (how nice!).

So, I'm asking for your advice and recommendations. I need some nice compact Front L and Front R bookshelf speakers that are under 11". I love my two NHT SB2 speakers and the NHT SC2 Center. I love the sound they create. Is there anything else that compares? I'm a big movie guy and I love listening to music of all genres, but mostly Rock, Jazz, Instrumentals (Piano and Strings), Acoustic, pre-2000's R&B. I believe my main problem will be budget. I don't want to go over $300 if I can help it. I'm currently running the speakers on an Onkyo TX-SR373 5.1 receiver and I eventually will get a sub, but the amount of bass the NHTs currently output is enough for me for the time being.

I've looked at the Q Acoustics 2020i, the NHT C1, the NHT SuperOnes, and the Polk Signature 15. Thoughts? Any other speakers to consider?

I greatly appreciate your input!

·
Registered
24,238 Posts
I need some nice compact Front L and Front R bookshelf speakers that are under 11". I love my two NHT SB2 speakers and the NHT SC2 Center. I love the sound they create. Is there anything else that compares? I'm a big movie guy and I love listening to music of all genres, but mostly Rock, Jazz, Instrumentals (Piano and Strings), Acoustic, pre-2000's R&B. I believe my main problem will be budget. I don't want to go over $300 if I can help it. I'm currently running the speakers on an Onkyo TX-SR373 5.1 receiver and I eventually will get a sub, but the amount of bass the NHTs currently output is enough for me for the time being.

I've looked at the Q Acoustics 2020i, the NHT C1, the NHT SuperOnes, and the Polk Signature 15. Thoughts? Any other speakers to consider?
Can you do exactly 11" ? These are sealed like the NHTs, but have DUAL 4" woofers with a respectable 70Hz 3db roll off unlike the others, and roughly $300/pr.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

You could probably put them on their sides if needed, too. Ascend is a top notch ID company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Zorba! I can probably do 11". I've heard many great things about these. Do you think there will be any downsides to placing them horizontally? Will that throw off the imaging?

·
Registered
24,238 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply Zorba! I can probably do 11". I've heard many great things about these. Do you think there will be any downsides to placing them horizontally? Will that throw off the imaging?
I don't think so, because they were designed as "LCR" speakers---suitable for use in ALL positions. You should reach out to @Ascend and ask them though, they are very good with answering technical questions like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so, because they were designed as "LCR" speakers---suitable for use in ALL positions. You should reach out to @Ascend and ask them though, they are very good with answering technical questions like that.
You rock, man! I appreciate it!

Do you have any insight or experience with any of the others I mentioned in the original post? Do you feel the Ascends blow them away?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'll chime in here and just reinforce what @Zorba922 is saying. Ascend makes EXCELLENT speakers and they are highly recommended. I don't have experience with the other models you mention but I imagine that the Ascends would outperform them. They are very hard to beat.

·
Registered
24,238 Posts
Do you have any insight or experience with any of the others I mentioned in the original post? Do you feel the Ascends blow them away?
Not directly. I once home demoed a whole bunch of QA speakers: the Concept 20, 3020, 3090, and 3070 pseudo-sub. I generally don't recommend speakers with 4" woofers except as surrounds; there is nothing else on the market AFAIK that manages to cram together DUAL 4" woofers in a tiny cabinet like the 200SE.

I have often recommended the NHTs because Amazon often sells them for half of what the NHT website does, and people are mostly quite happy with them for HT. For *music* I'd say at least 30% find the SuperOne and C1 to be a bit on the "bright" side. The SuperZero is much more neutral (I used to own one as a center), just has limited dynamics and almost no mid-bass.

C1s were compared to several other similarly priced bookshelves in this recent thread; the OP also found them to be nicely detailed but very treble-dominant, and much preferred the considerably more expensive C3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-s...helf-shootout-another-one-5.html#post59536744

So given your size and budget restrictions, I think the 200SE are a no-brainer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll chime in here and just reinforce what @Zorba922 is saying. Ascend makes EXCELLENT speakers and they are highly recommended. I don't have experience with the other models you mention but I imagine that the Ascends would outperform them. They are very hard to beat.
Thank you very much, Gary! I appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not directly. I once home demoed a whole bunch of QA speakers: the Concept 20, 3020, 3090, and 3070 pseudo-sub. I generally don't recommend speakers with 4" woofers except as surrounds; there is nothing else on the market AFAIK that manages to cram together DUAL 4" woofers in a tiny cabinet like the 200SE.

I have often recommended the NHTs because Amazon often sells them for half of what the NHT website does, and people are mostly quite happy with them for HT. For *music* I'd say at least 30% find the SuperOne and C1 to be a bit on the "bright" side. The SuperZero is much more neutral (I used to own one as a center), just has limited dynamics and almost no mid-bass.

C1s were compared to several other similarly priced bookshelves in this recent thread; the OP also found them to be nicely detailed but very treble-dominant, and much preferred the considerably more expensive C3.

So given your size and budget restrictions, I think the 200SE are a no-brainer.

Excellent. Thank you for your insight! I'll turn my attention heavily towards the Ascends. As long as I can lay them horizontally without issue, I believe that's the route to take. I'll verify with @Ascend first.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
24,238 Posts
Excellent. Thank you for your insight! I'll turn my attention heavily towards the Ascends. As long as I can lay them horizontally without issue, I believe that's the route to take. I'll verify with @Ascend first.

Thanks again!
You're very welcome. If you get them, please be sure to post an update with your impressions. Photos are always appreciated too.

That's the usual fee for free advice around here. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts