AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you AV PROS ...

I've been lurking on the site for months trying to figure out what I should purchase for my small studio apartment here in Manhattan.

I've got a broken ( in need of repair ) Nakamichi receiver and some mid-range Polk Audio floor standing speakers. They're too loud for a NY apartment with neighbors around.

I want to find a quality system, New Receiver, Speakers or Soundbar for my apartment but I'd like to hear some of them first.

WHAT ARE SOME GOOD STORES TO CHECK FOR SPEAKERS and RECEIVERS ?

I'm leaning towards buying the ENERGY MICRO RC 5.1 and a HARMAN KARDON AV 2600 receiver with HDMI 1.4 for 3D capability.

I wanted to get a soundbar - and was thinking of going for something like the POLK S50 or ZVOX or maybe a Yamaha ?

I don't want to get too bass heavy as that's what disturbs the folks around me most. I'll be using this mostly for music - but want a good HT system when it's time to watch a flick.

WHERE SHOULD I GO TO CHECK SOME OF THESE PRODUCTS OUT HERE IN NYC ?

THANKS !

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerolex /forum/post/19590579

Anyone got any recommendations for good Speaker and higher end stereo shops in NYC ?

Why higher end? The products you are looking for are far from "higher end" and I HIGHLY doubt any of them will either carry these products or have them for demo. I would go to your local mass retailers like sixth ave or best buy for the products you are looking for.

I know of three in the city and none of them even carry the products you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
if you want good music in your situation, i'd probably look for a good pair of bookshelf style speakers that you can later add a subwoofer to in the future (once you can use bass).

A speaker like a sound bar or small home theater speaker setup (like the energy system) won't really sound that great for music compared to spending the same budget on a pair of speakers alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.