AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me decide between either Panasonic TC-P65S1 or Samsung PN63B550. I'm ready to pull the trigger but I'm truly stuck. I've tried to do my homework via this site & google. Price will not decide this choice (although I don't want to get the more expensive versions of these respective choices unless there is some crazy benefit that is absolutely must have at any price.) This will replace basement 60" Sony SXRD rear proj. I went to BB & saw the higher tier versions head to head : P65V10 & 63B590. Head to head, I got the impression the Samsung colors were more vibrant almost hyper-real (which I hate to admit but I really liked) while the panasonic was definitely bigger which I could really feel and had better black levels but the colors were just slightly muted feeling compared to the samsung. Will the B550 handle 24p bluray movies better? The main reason I want it is for football season. For me I think it boils down to Sammy color vs Panny size. I've got a feeling size is going to win because if they made an affordable 70" I'd probably get that instead assuming it was plasma (see PQ is still a big factor). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unrelated side question does OTA HD nfl look better than cable and is there a way to dvr ota hd?

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
First, yes, OTA HD is better than cable or satellite, assuming you have reception in your area and in your basement. I believe only the higher models of both brands handle 24p BluRay properly (such as the V10 for Panny). Regarding one brand vs the other, do we really need another thread on this? You already know the pros and cons: better colors with Samsung, better blacks with Panny, possibly better reliability with Panny. This has been debated to death, and only gets people telling you that what they bought is the best for one and all!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.