AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, i'm looking for an AVR reciever and speakers for about £1000. At the moment i'm on the verge of buying the BOSE accoustimass 6 speaker system ( i need the speakers to be that small) and a DENON 1910 AVR Reciever.

The most important thing for me is clarity and depth of music rather than power and loudness. Will be using for music, films and gaming. Unfortuantly i do not know nearly enough about these things to let you know my requirements, but any advice would be most appreciated.

Mortis

·
Registered
97 Posts
Speakers are very subjective and really the only way to decide what you will like is to listen to as many as possible, whether it is in demo stores or if possible taking them home and listening.

For a receiver things vary depending on if you need more features for home theater or want to focus on music. It sounds like you're focusing on home theater so the Denon line is great. I would recommend trying to get a Denon with analog to HDMI upconversion (theres a good deal on a Denon AVR-2309CI refurb from ecost) which means either the 789 (last years model or above) or the 2309 and above. This years models have a few new features but I doubt you would use those if you are just getting started.

For speakers a couple of low cost options are the Energy Take Classic 5.1 set, or you can get the combo from newegg of the Energy Take 5.0 with the Klipsch 12" sub which is a great deal.

If youre up for spending more on speakers take a look at the Paradigm millenia series (Im sticking with low profile options since you were thinking about the acoustimass sytem). Bose is terrible and is all marketing, for the same amount of money you can get much better speakers.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis01 /forum/post/16979734

The most important thing for me is clarity and depth of music

This cannot be had by Bose products. In fact, nothing that small will provide an abundance of what you're seeking. But there are definitely better options than Bose.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger that /forum/post/16982310

this cannot be had by bose products. In fact, nothing that small will provide an abundance of what you're seeking. But there are definitely better options than bose.

+1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mortis01,

I had Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers that I bought about 6yrs ago. Was reasonably happy with them, until a few years ago when I started listening to other speakers. Recently, I managed to put together enough cash to buy new speakers. I bought Jamo 680s for fronts, and Energy C50 for sorrounds. I did a comparison test by listening to the 3 sets in stereo mode. I also called in a cousin of mine for the test.

First the Bose - I knew what they sounded like.

Next came the Energys - There's a big noticeable improvement in clarity and bass.

Next came the Jamos - was totally floored by the sound. Just incredible difference.

btw, the Energy c-50 are only $50 a piece, compare that to Bose.

Long story short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/16982829

+1

Make it +1 more

If small size is a must, look at orbaudio. I haven't heard them myself, but people in this forum said they are decent. Sorry, I don't have any specific references.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts