AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions on a good entry level projector. TV and movie watching only.....no gaming. 3D is not important but if available that's fine too (not a deal breaker either way). Due to my room configuration with a soffit in line with the screen wall, lens shift is probably a necessity. The projector will be mounted on a rear wall almost directly above the seating area so noise is a concern.

What is your ceiling height? 8'-6"

What is your throw distance? (distance from where the LENS will be to the screen) 13'-6"

What is your screen size diagonal? 110" or 120" (my thought is to get the projector and see what screen size feels good).

What is your viewing distance (eyes to screen) 12'

What is the wall color? Tan

What is the ceiling color? White....for now. Not keen on painting it but it's a possibility.

Is this a dedicated space? No, open room design.

How much light control do you have? Unsure how to gauge this. Walkout basement design with a couple windows in the viewing room (all shaded). Lights all on dimmers.

What type of screen do you intend to use? I'm open for suggestions. Something along the screen size mentioned above.

Pics

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Personally I would put a BenQ 1070 in there and that would give you $600 left over for a screen. You want a fixed frame cine white 1.2/1.3 gain screen. Jamestown comes to mind for the best price (around $300) or an Elite if your in a hurry. The white ceiling shouldn't be an issue because of the painted soffit nor is it an issue with ceiling mounting the projector. Go with your suggestion of getting the projector first and see what screen size you like but your range sounds good. If DLP's RBE is an issue (it isn't for most but a rare few can't tolerate it) the Epson 2030 is an option. Optoma HD25e/131xe are also good choices and all less than your budget. 5.1 surround would also be very desirable so consider that in your budget also if you don't already have it. The colors are OK but a little darker brown would help.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All great suggestions, thank you! Two concerns I have from reading the the BenQ 1070 posts are limited lens shift capabilities and excess noise from the projector itself. It still might be my best option given the positive reviews and my limited budget. Need to go research those other two projectors you mentioned......

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
The W1070 is nice. The other models have ZERO lens shift. So, you are stuck putting them where they must go. The BenQ offers some lens shift, and with your drop down, it means that you can have it just under the edge of the soffit and the image will still be able to be near the top of the soffit. With the Optoma, it will need to be several inches lower... Considering the screen frame, it may work out to be about the same. The 2030 I don't feel (and seem to be supported on this) that this is as solid of a model as the DLP models at the same (or lower) price point.

BenQ has a higher color wheel speed than Optoma which may matter as well.

With the break halfway through the room, it gives you a nice area that could be painted much darker for the ceiling, while leaving the area over the seating white. That's pretty cool.

The 13'6" lens to screen distance is a bit of an issue. If you can swing it forward a bit more, you could get the W1070 down to about a 120" diagonal, otherwise you are closer to 125"+ in diagonal.

I would ceiling mount a few inches closer to the screen. I do sit directly under my W1070 and don't find projector noise, in low power mode, to be bad. Not perfect, but not bad.

People seem to be cutting and pasting my questions a fair bit.
Maybe I should rewrite a comprehensive question list for people to answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts