AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting:

2 x Polk LSi25 (left front/right front) floor standing speakers

1 x Polk LSi C (center - will be mounted on-wall right under TV)

2 x Polk LSi FX (left rear, right rear)

Room they're going in (pictured): 13' wide (the TV wall) by 20' long. I plan on placing the rears about 7' high on the wall. I plan on angling the floor standers slightly inward (pointed toward center of sofa). If you click on the pics you'll see red boxes that indicate speaker placement I'm thinking about.

I liked the LSi25's with powered 10" subs because of space concerns (don't want five total speakers if I get two subs, plus the TV - whole wall will be covered with speakers), but a few questions needing advice:

- Fronts: Are LSi25's ok, or should I consider LSi9's on-wall/stands + separate sub(s)?

- Surrounds: Do I mount my rears to the sides of the sofa, or 4' back from sofa? Most of what I read tells me optimal placement is directly to sides of seating.

- Surrounds: Do I mount LSiFX's vertically (drivers pointed left/right) or horizontally (drivers pointed up/down)? or get LSi9's and point them downward?

- Any other speakers in this class worth considering?

- What's a good A/V receiver to drive all these at 4 Ohms?

(Left/Center/Rear) (Left Rear/Right Rear)

PICTURED: Polk LSi-25, Polk LSi-9, Polk LSi-FX

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It's an excellent sounding package. Given the package prices, you would be hard-pressed to find anything better if you ask me. I can think of no real reason to discourage you. But, you should listen to them first if at all possible.

The Onkyo is an excellent video processing receiver, but it's a little thin in the amplification section compared to a few others that come to mind. Certainly, not a bad combo by any means and should run the LSi's. One thing to point out, the LSi's are a difficult load and the Onkyo can run a bit on the warm side. Something to keep in mind with your decision.

Can't wait to see the finished pictures.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony /forum/post/14240708

It's an excellent sounding package. Given the package prices, you would be hard-pressed to find anything better if you ask me. I can think of no real reason to discourage you. But, you should listen to them first if at all possible.

The Onkyo is an excellent video processing receiver, but it's a little thin in the amplification section compared to a few others that come to mind. Certainly, not a bad combo by any means and should run the LSi's. One thing to point out, the LSi's are a difficult load and the Onkyo can run a bit on the warm side. Something to keep in mind with your decision.

Can't wait to see the finished pictures.

I see. Yeah I'm not really so interested in imaging processing - all my sources are pretty much already 1080p and the exceptions I handle with my own custom postprocessing/upscaling settings on my HTPC. I guess I just need a midrange AVR that decodes DTS-HD MA and TrueHD properly (many of them are buggy and PC unfriendly right now)+ a separate amp. A guy at a B&M was trying to sell me on an Onkyo TX-NR905 since its the most powerful Onkyo, and THX2 certified, blah blah blah. Might just wait it out until successor product comes out this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts