AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AVS members!

Quick background:

I'm fresh out of graduate school and thought speakers would be a nice present for myself. I bought the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system at first but returned it because it lacked fullness/heaviness, especially for music.

Now I'm trying to piece a 5.1 system together slowly and will focus on the front 2 and a sub for the time being (I can't believe I have the patience for this, I'm just itching to buy that Martin Logan MLT-2).

Room size: My bedroom is about 14x12 so its not that large. Just by looking at some of the dimensions of the center speakers out there, it'll be a tight fit to put in front of my 32 inch TV unless I mount the TV.

Speaker placement: I will be placing the speakers on my dresser made out of wood with a glass top. I have about 9 inches of width for the speakers. Height and depth won't be a problem.

Usage: I will be using it for movies, games, and music. I listen to classical, hip hop, rap, and anything with good vocals (e.g. Adele).

What I want: I need just 2 bookshelf speakers for now to satisfy my craving. No floorstandings as I have absolutely no room for them. Good, clear, crisp and full sound. Basically good sound quality I guess.

For the sub, I was leaning more towards a sealed enclosure for clean and tight bass.

Budget: I want to spend $200-250 for a pair of bookshelves but am willing to make the jump to $300 if it is well worth the price increase. I prefer to stay under $250 though. I don't want to skimp on the subwoofer, so I believe $350 for a sub is reasonable for my room size.

I need your advice, am I getting the most bang for the buck for these speakers or are there better alternatives?

Speakers that I have listened to and considering are:

Polk RTiA1, but I can get the older model, RTi4, for $150.

Energy CB-10.

There are so many other speakers within my budget I don't have a place around me to audition them. eg. PSB B4, or NHT SuperZero, etc.

The Energy RC-10 can be had for $300 too.

With all that said, I am willing to buy them without auditioning based on your advice and experience!! Its my first setup so anything would sound good, but I want the best for the money.

Help me out! I've been staring at speakers all day and been so unproductive! lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TInyk
Hi AVS members!

Quick background:

I'm fresh out of graduate school and thought speakers would be a nice present for myself. I bought the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 system at first but returned it because it lacked fullness/heaviness, especially for music.

Now I'm trying to piece a 5.1 system together slowly and will focus on the front 2 and a sub for the time being (I can't believe I have the patience for this, I'm just itching to buy that Martin Logan MLT-2).

Room size: My bedroom is about 14x12 so its not that large. Just by looking at some of the dimensions of the center speakers out there, it'll be a tight fit to put in front of my 32 inch TV unless I mount the TV.

Speaker placement: I will be placing the speakers on my dresser made out of wood with a glass top. I have about 9 inches of width for the speakers. Height and depth won't be a problem.

Usage: I will be using it for movies, games, and music. I listen to classical, hip hop, rap, and anything with good vocals (e.g. Adele).

What I want: I need just 2 bookshelf speakers for now to satisfy my craving. No floorstandings as I have absolutely no room for them. Good, clear, crisp and full sound. Basically good sound quality I guess.

For the sub, I was leaning more towards a sealed enclosure for clean and tight bass.

Budget: I want to spend $200-250 for a pair of bookshelves but am willing to make the jump to $300 if it is well worth the price increase. I prefer to stay under $250 though. I don't want to skimp on the subwoofer, so I believe $350 for a sub is reasonable for my room size.

I need your advice, am I getting the most bang for the buck for these speakers or are there better alternatives?

Speakers that I have listened to and considering are:

Polk RTiA1, but I can get the older model, RTi4, for $150.

Energy CB-10.

There are so many other speakers within my budget I don't have a place around me to audition them. eg. PSB B4, or NHT SuperZero, etc.

The Energy RC-10 can be had for $300 too.

With all that said, I am willing to buy them without auditioning based on your advice and experience!! Its my first setup so anything would sound good, but I want the best for the money.

Help me out! I've been staring at speakers all day and been so unproductive! lol.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's always seem to impress. Good bass response and a nice natural sound. Toe them in a bit to draw out the sound image.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have heard the psb image series, nice speakers.

for me, i would look at 5.25 and up drivers. the small speakers just don't do it for me.

the psb image B5's are nice books.

for subs, i would try to save up (500-600) look at ed,hsu,epik.

i think you can save/shop more for better quality.

i'm debating on trying out the ascend sierra-1's for a bedroom setup.

alot more money, but i haven't heard anything negative about these books??

too many choices...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webomatic
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's always seem to impress. Good bass response and a nice natural sound. Toe them in a bit to draw out the sound image.
Phew, $350 though. That's really pushing it. They look really good tho. Anything similar I can get for under $300?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyela
i have heard the psb image series, nice speakers.

for me, i would look at 5.25 and up drivers. the small speakers just don't do it for me.

the psb image B5's are nice books.

for subs, i would try to save up (500-600) look at ed,hsu,epik.

i think you can save/shop more for better quality.

i'm debating on trying out the ascend sierra-1's for a bedroom setup.

alot more money, but i haven't heard anything negative about these books??

too many choices...
I hear ya...too many choices!

Its my first setup so I don't really want to hollow out my wallet. I was thinking I can get 2 fronts for less than $300 just to see how it sounds in my room. I can always move them to the back as surrounds and purchase bigger speakers if I'm not satisfied.

A nice sub would fill in the range that some bookshelves are lacking correct? Though, I was afraid that a sub would not correctly fill in the gap for the NHT Super Zero. Thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
most decent subs in the 500-600 and up range, will play good 100hz and down.

the key is to find good speakers, (books/towers) to play good down to 60-80hz.

imo, in the lower price ranges this is harder to do.

if your budget was 500-600 for books, and 500-600 sub. no problems.

personally i would buy good speakers first, then save more for a good sub.

psb,polk,klipsch,nht,paradigm,etc all make speakers to fit your needs and budget.

keep in mind your future goal of a complete setup

if i am correct the nht's only go down to 85hz, not really that low.

getting speakers that will play down to 60hz would be a good start, imo.

i know most people crossover between 80-100hz with their subs, i just think the speakers should be able to go lower than 80hz themselves,imo.

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts
I'd recommend the HSU STF-1 ($300) or STF-2 ($350) for the subwoofer. They have a pair of B-stock CBM-170SEs at Ascend Acoustics for $306. If you're not familiar these are phenomenal sounding bookshelves (beautiful sounding if not aesthetically pleasing). B-Stock means that they will have very minor cosmetic flaws only.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan /forum/post/20792870

I'd recommend the HSU STF-1 ($300) or STF-2 ($350) for the subwoofer. They have a pair of B-stock CBM-170SEs at Ascend Acoustics for $306. If you're not familiar these are phenomenal sounding bookshelves (beautiful sounding if not aesthetically pleasing). B-Stock means that they will have very minor cosmetic flaws only.

+1 on the sub.

For reasonably priced speakers, you might also look at the Infinity P162/P163.

Those play down to 80hz very easily.

And they fit your budget.

Well reviewed too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought 2 Motion 4s and a Motion 6 center at Newegg for about $480 shipped!

Lets hope I didn't make a mistake with these. Opinions?

Now I just need a sub. I was thinking the HSU-STF recommended above or the ED A3s-250.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, order was canceled because Newegg actually ran out of the motion 4! It's too bad, I really enjoyed the way they sounded.

So I've narrowed it down to:

PSB Image B4: $300/pair (is there a big diff. vs Alpha B1?)

Energy RC-10: $300/pair

NHT Super Zero: $200/pair (although re-considering since they go down to 85 hz)

Cambridge Audio S30: $219/pair

I don't have a chance to audition any of these so I am going to go with gut and recommendations. Is there a worth while jump in sound when comparing the $200 ones to $300?

I will be using a decent quality sub with these, thinking of HSU STF-1 or ED A3s-250.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatham /forum/post/20796215

If younare not in a hurry, check out musicdirect.com for the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 as a demo for 279.99.

I considered this speaker too, but what center would I get with that one? What surrounds (I'd like to get less expensive surrounds)? I don't have the space to have another Diamond 10.1 sitting vertically as my center. I wouldn't feel too good dropping another $350 just for a center.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TInyk /forum/post/20797030

I considered this speaker too, but what center would I get with that one? What surrounds (I'd like to get less expensive surrounds)? I don't have the space to have another Diamond 10.1 sitting vertically as my center. I wouldn't feel too good dropping another $350 just for a center.

Wharfedale makes a small Diamond series center, the 10.CC which retails for $249, or the 10.CS for $299. And they also have the 10.0's which retail for $299 that can handle your surround needs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also look at the new Pioneer speaker line by Andrew Jones. The September issue of Stereophile magazine has a complete review of their $150/pair bookshelf speakers and both RobertReina and John Atkinson were very impressed. John said the measured performance would not be out of place if they were $1,000/pair speakers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts