Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

My first post here.

Ok ... had my Mitsubishi WS65819 delivered this past Wednesday and of course am totally in awe watching my DVD's the way I feel they were meant to be watched. :) I've had a 5.1 Polk Audio system just waitin to be married to an HD set and the marriage is finally complete.

I've been reading about and trying to keep up with the whole DVI/FireWire issue and was putting off purchasing a set for the longest time and just said ... wtf ... and went out and bought the Mits knowing that I can upgrade the set (although from what i've learned if DVI kicks in it will not have an input for it, sheesh). If anyone can direct me to an up to date thread or link on the topic it would be appreciated as I can (if I really wanted to, return my set but I don't think I want to.)

Ok ... Here's a main question I'd like to put out to you guys.

Now that I have my Mits HD monitor ... what is the best satellite service to get? I currently have digital cable and there are firewire ports on the back but they do not work from what I've been told. I can upgrade the Mits to input firewire but won't do that until i have to.

So question 1.

Will Satellite offer me a better picture quality than digital cable? The digital cable is connected through a regular ol' rca jack. Is it the same with satellite?

Question 2.

Is the High def content on one satellite service better than another? The big 2 that I mainly see advertised are dishnetwork and directtv. Both have very limited HD channels from what I see. If I have this right ...

Directtv offers ...

a. HBO-HD

b. HDNET

c. ShowTime HDTV and

d. a pay per view HD channel

DishNetwork offers.

a. HBO-HD

b. Showtime HD

c. CBS HD

d. one pay per view.

3. To ya'll who have these services are there any other HD chanels I don't know about or is this it?

Are there other satellite services that offer more HD content?

I also see that these services offer local channel packages of which I am capable of getting. Are these local channels who broadcast in HD (ABC, CBS, NBC) do they broadcast their HD content via these satellite services or are their programs received strictly through a UHF antenna (other than CBS on the dish network)?

Sorry if this seems like alot of questions but before I take the plunge with any company on getting HD content I'd like to get the input from those of you who have *been there*.

Thanks in advance,

Rhino

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase. I think you're in the right frame of mind for the upcoming Copyright Wars...better to enjoy stuff now than to wait for the revised standards to be put in place.

1. Most digital cable systems are TERRIBLE. Really bad compression artifacts(lots of blocking, etc.). I believe that either DirecTV or Dish would offer better picture quality, but you must understand that garbage in = garbage out (a lot of channels on both services, like digital cable, are overcompressed and will look bad no matter what you do). Satellite STBs typically offer S-Video outputs, which will yield a slightly better picture than normal composite/RCA outputs (all else being equal). Just realize that no non-HD channel is ever going to look as good as a decent DVD and you'll be happy.

2. DirecTV offers a better portfolio of HD than Dish at the moment. If you think they have limited HD content now, you should have seen a few years ago! :) HDNet is HD eye candy...lots of sports and documentaries. That, plus HBO-HD will yield a signifcant amount of HD programming. SHO-HD rarely shows *true* HD content, instead offering upconverts most of the time (but some of their upconverts look better than HBO's HD programming). PPV HD on both services stinks--lousy movie selection, endless repeats. To get a feel for what is "on" in HD, look at http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html to see what each channel is offering this week.

3. Depending upon where you live, you could have more HD options. In most major cities, the locals are (or should be!) broadcasting HD content. Due to bandwidth limitations, you can't get your locals in HD via satellite...but if they are broadcasting, you can get them OTA ("over the air") with an antenna. For example, in Atlanta, I can get ABC (most primetime non-news series), CBS (most primetime non-news series), NBC (2 shows now, but soon to expand to 11 hours this fall) and Fox (a few 480p widescreen shows)...WB and UPN will be on soon as well, but likely only upconverted stuff. Our PBS doesn't have enough money to rebroadcast the national PBS HD feed, so for the next year they'll only do upconverts (boo!).

To sum up, I'd take a long hard look at DirecTV: if your locals are broadcasting HD, then a combo satellite/OTA STB would offer you great bang for the buck. Just go into it with your eyes wide open--DirecTV and Dish have voted in favor of DVI/HDCP (AKA HDMI) to the set, and they haven't given their word that normal old analog component connections will be 100% viable for 100% of the HD content. Logic and common sense would dicate that they won't cut off their nose to spite their face, but then again, anytime the MPAA is involved in a decision, you never know. Search the forum for "DVI/HDCP" or "HDMI" or "Dish 921" to see what is going on before you invest, though...to some, $500 for a HDTV STB that could be crippled in 9 months is nothing, to others, it is a call for a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response.

I must ask ... if you were me would you return the set and just get one with DVI inputs in September? I hate to drop $3500 now only to regret it 6 months later. I've lived this long without HD I think I can wait another 6 months. Especially if DVI is going to be the standard.

If Dish/DirectTv is going DVI does that mean I will not able to receive the content since my Mits set does not have DVI input? I know the Mits WS65819 can be upgraded to support FireWire inputs but I'm not too sure about DVI inputs.

While you have stated that DirectTV & Dish have agreed to go DVI I have noticed on the back of my digital cable box that there are firewire (IEEE1394) outputs on the back (though not yet active). Do you think it may be possible that while the satellites go DVI that digital cable will go firewire?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rhino

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump ... would love some answers to my last questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.