AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy a Kef KHT3005 for my entry-level home theater system, attached to an Onkyo 705 in my somewhat spacious apartment living room.

But one of the local stores has Kef KHT5005 5.1 demo set on sale for the same price as the 3005. I called them, and they said there are a few scuffs, but sound is supposedly ok and they come with full warranty.

A few questions before I go and demo their demo unit:

- Is the 5005 (or 3005) capable of producing good sound at reasonable volume? I live in an apartment, so I can't push them as loud as I'd like to.

- I'm a newbie to all this, so what should I look for and be wary of in a demo unit which has been in the store for "quite a while"?

- The floor stands are ridiculously expensive, a full set for the 7.1 I'm going to get would cost well over twice (!) the cost of the discounted speakers. Is this normal for Kef speakers, or a way for stores to raise their margins?

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd jump on the 5005 over the 3005 in a heartbeat. (is the sub included? which one?) The 5005 are a great set. check *bay right now for the stands - some guy is selling them cheap (relatively).

An Onkyo 705 should have no problem with either set.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is the sale final if you buy it? if not...then just buy it..demo it in your home and see how it sounds. If it's to your liking perfect, if not...return it..

~G

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenhoek27 /forum/post/12967419

I'd jump on the 5005 over the 3005 in a heartbeat. (is the sub included? which one?) The 5005 are a great set. check *bay right now for the stands - some guy is selling them cheap (relatively).

An Onkyo 705 should have no problem with either set.

Good Luck!

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. The sub is the UFO which belongs to the 5.1 set (5005.2 version), I believe, but I didn't ask.

Checked that site you mentioned for the stands, didn't see any 5005 stands. The floor stands do look amazing, but so is the price

I'm sure the sale is final, but I'll have a chance to demo it at the store. They come with full warranty.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouko342 /forum/post/12968313

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. The sub is the UFO which belongs to the 5.1 set (5005.2 version), I believe, but I didn't ask.

Checked that site you mentioned for the stands, didn't see any 5005 stands. The floor stands do look amazing, but so is the price

I'm sure the sale is final, but I'll have a chance to demo it at the store. They come with full warranty.

Check with www.accessories4less.com

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picked up the 5.1 set today. Minor nicks, nothing that detracts or even shows unless you go close up and personal. The sub though is a brand new PSW-2500 - so it's not the UFO and don't know how it stacks up against it. It's pretty damn massive, though, and looks nice, as does the rest of the set. They even threw in two stands for 40% off.

Now, if the Dutch customs would get their act together and release my Monoprice cables so I could actually test drive the set...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts