AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am in the process of calibrating my Pioneer Elite 151 using Digital Video Essentials and have a few questions. The last time I used DVE was with a LaserDisc and my 27" Sony XBR CRT TV.

The Elite and the DVE DVD have tons of settings. What is your recommendations/suggestions on calibration? Do you adjust Pure, or use some additional setting? In addition, when I adjusted the Contrast setting with DVE I did not see any difference between the left side of the test pattern and the right side like they showed in the example. Is this normal? I ran the contrast up and down and didn't see any difference; this was done in Pure.

I also see a lot of other adjustments with the Elite that is not covered in DVE.

Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Well your contrast will not clip becuase plasmas have a tendency to not have a clipping point. As far as dve, you can adjust the basic color,tint,brightness, and grayscale by eye and color filter. You can adjust for overscan but i would reccommend getting the blu ray or hd dvd version of dve. If you have a blu ray player id reccommend heading over to the calibration forum and downloading the avs709 disk. It has better color and tint patterns and has overscan adjustment. As far as your grayscale goes your gonna have to do that by eye. I would start with d-nice's settings in the official 9g kuro settings thread, first post, found in this very forum. From what ive heard the 9g kuro settings for low grayscale do nothing when adjusted and the grayscale in pure mode is pretty close to 6500k to begin with. Read up in that thread and you should be rounding third base as soon as you start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. My current DVD player is an Elite 47ai which is not BluRay - does the DVE HDDVD work with regular players?

A Blu Ray is on my shopping list, but just have this one for now.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.