AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm fairly new to the HT world but not unfamiliar with it all. I am badly craving a nice HT setup and I'll be slowly adding throughout 2009 all of the components from a HD plasma tv to a Receiver and speaker system. Since doing alot of research on speakers I found that DIY might be a possibility for me to save some money and have better quality sound in the end.

The reason I am considering a DIY set of speakers is because I have access to alot of tools to build the cabinets. Everything from raw material (3/4 inch veneered mdf in cherry, hickory, oak or maple), a CNC for drilling and routering, saws of all types, sanding benches, shaping machines etc...and also a spray booth to put the finishing touches on it.

Considering I can make these myself (albeit a serious undertaking), I figure I can cut alot of cost and afford better drivers to put inside them. I'm wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction to find fairly decent kits. I have found Raw Acoustics from the forum and they do look great but I would like some alternatives. I want these speakers for a 5.1 system for starters and I want impressive sound for a small to medium size room. There are so many good deals on receivers these days and I'm budgeting $500-$700 for a half decent one. Anyway, any advice would be great. I love some of the new 5.1 systems out there from companies like Axiom and Aperion but building something myself would be so much sweeter. Thanks for any pointers....

D

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/15429182

Check out the Mission accomplished section at HTGuide for your satelite speakers

But get your sub designs here

Oh yea I almost forgot...

Welcome to AVS Danielson

I 2nd NeoDan. Ht Guide is apt to pro builders and novice. There is explainations of XO designs from the designers. No one is left behind. They held my hand all along the way. Here are my mains and surrounds.

Don't forget the subs!!!!!

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
The whole speaker system is DIY. I would have to spend alot more to get much less. These can reproduce every single bit on any DVD !!!

I hope you find a design, and welcome to the forum!!

Kg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.