AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
Here is the SAB-24.
I took this nearfield right at the dust cap.

Not bad for $254 + shipping. :p

With EQ you can make them do whatever you want. Flat to single digits etc.
This was taken at the golden seat.

Here even the 16 PA-460's at a distance of 12ft are holding their own for such cheap drivers, it adds a great deal of flatness above 100hz, and continues all the way to 300hz.
The average distance is 8ft for most of the subs. The SAB-24 is behind the seat, closest at just 4ft away, I was trying it out as a true ULF sub at the time of taking this sweep.
The ULF subs are crossed at 120hz, because they ain't MBM's and don't need to be.

Multiples of any of the high-end cones + EQ is gonna led to awesome bass, you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Just pick a reasonably-priced one and buy a boat load of them...
50-MOQ SAB-24's ought to be enough ram to play Crysis. :p

·
Registered
302 Posts
A close mic measurement may not be applicable in terms of distortion at the measured SPL in translating that to SPL at the listening position, but if it's run at the same playback levels that are used, while the SPL at the MLP might be lower given those distortion levels, the distortion levels related to the drivers would be applicable, at least I think so.

I'm not sure how the comment fits into which measurements, as I'm not really clear on the circumstances, and how that would translate to the variables involved. I guess you need more context for it to be useful.

Playing with a basic C-weighted SPL meter, set for fast max levels, most of the time my playback levels are actually pretty modest by the 'regular' standards of the most enthused enthusiasts, peaking at about 105 dB, while the average levels, A-weighted, are about 85 dB. It will of course depend on the content, but even when peaking at 110-112 dB, the woofers in the living room 'standing' system are moving maybe 3/4" peak to peak, on the high side. Granted, I am also relatively close (about 2 meters), nor is my room particularly large. I've pushed it to 115 dB, though at that point I can hear the 8" woofers distorting, possibly as much from amplifier clipping, as I haven't gotten around to configuring the channel connections to bridge, or for that matter, added the second set of drivers.

Of course, i would never argue with the benefits of more drivers, more enclosure, and after that, more power (if you'll use it). If you have the space and budget, why not?

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Yes, but you can tell by close mic spl amplitude if it's being pushed. On my nearfield computer setup there is a almost a 20dB difference between close mic and nearfield on the subs, never mind far field for most HT setups. It's not debatable that distortion rises with excursion. Close mic is good for seeing the native response without the room effects, it's worthless for distortion unless you want to establish the floor of distortion levels for some reason.

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
It's in a super undersized box too, 25x25x23, just barely enough to fit the woofer.
An IB sized box or a fridge-sized ported box would definitely perform better.

I intentionally crippled it so that it would never bottom out (hopefully), and it helps keep the cost of the wood down, and increases placement options.

To be honest I can't even hear the subwoofer when it is operating, there is just way too many other sources of bass in the room for that to ever be possible. I could be down 2 PA-460's and never even notice it for years...
Time to add more subwoofers just in-case!!! My my the rabbit hole has it's own gravitational-field and time-zone now... feeling a bit interstellar-ish in here. hehe! 😅

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,151 Posts
Are the SAB-24's a unicorn now? IE not available?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts

You can find them on Alibaba/Aliexpress (forget which), but who knows what the quality is, or if the posted specs (if available) are real?

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,151 Posts
You can find them on Alibaba/Aliexpress (forget which), but who knows what the quality is, or if the posted specs (if available) are real?

Ok, thats what I thought as I did come up with some no-name 24" there that can be buitl to your spec's!! ;) All you need to do is order 50.... I smell a group buy!!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Plus I think around $650 in shipping? When the shipping is nearly three times the product price it seem like we should include the actual numbers. Still a decent price for a very high excursion 24".

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
Not disputing a sealed sub will distort more than a ported. It was simply to show that distortion was not coloring the sound of the uHT vs the NSW at playback level and affecting why they sound different.
If it sounds different, then it should be measurable. What is that dip in the NSW's response? Is that a ported box with no HPF or a room-null or xyz?

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
I did come up with some no-name 24" there that can be buitl to your spec's!! ;) All you need to do is order 50....
That's the one!
JLD audio, SAB-24, on alibaba

I already posted the measurements and T/S parameters of the sample they sent me.
I have it on FP clone 2-ohm power. I can't measure watts, but I can tell you that it will handle more power than an SI HT-24. It's bigger, heavier, and beefier in every regard.

No idea what the quality or quality-control of a production run would be.
No idea how many would be dropped, lost, or damaged either.
I lucked out.
A sample is probably as-good-as-it-gets, everything else would be WORSE (I'd imagine...)

He somehow talked them in
I guess I played 9000D chess on them and won. Or just got Forest-Gump lucky... hehe! :p

Plus I think around $650 in shipping? When the shipping is nearly three times the product price it seem like we should include the actual numbers. Still a decent price for a very high excursion 24".
Woofer was $254 and FedEx international air-shipping was $500 if I recall correctly.
Thing is like 165lbs unboxed, and the box was like 28x28x20 (or whatever...)
Basically: a dead body in a coffin, air shipped half away across the globe. :p

·
Registered
830 Posts
maybe I missed it but did anybody mention the use of hoover boss as an inexpensive way to get some single digits as an alternative diy route alongside at least four 18 inch subwoofers?

·
Registered
19,759 Posts
ULF is not even vibrations, too slow, all pressure. It is a quiver like sensation, not like a huge vibration from 20hz and above. More like puffs of air, feeling like you are underwater.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ULF is not even vibrations, too slow, all pressure. It is a quiver like sensation, not like a huge vibration from 20hz and above. More like puffs of air, feeling like you are underwater.
I think it's a good description, except perhaps with the puffing. You might be getting port turbulence, but the blasting of a gush of air isn't the pressure wave, even if it's related. I suppose it is technically a vibration, but it's so slow the experience is different than we typically associate with something vibrating.

It's like the air pressure changed quickly, high/low/high/low (because that's what it is) like the weather got bipolar from taking meth. But you can feel the cycles individually, unlike 60 Hz or even 30 Hz.

Or, for those who live with earthquakes, it's kind of like that, but in the air around you instead of the ground underneath. You can get the same experience in some airports. Lots of infrasonics when large jets take off.

At 9Hz, that's slow enough that you can verbally count as fast as the individual cycles go from peak to valley and back to peak.

At 6 Hz, you can move your hand back and forth 6 inches at that frequency, but you probably can't keep it up that long. At least, I can't.

·
Registered
19,759 Posts
The puff is air was from Bass I love you, and the 6hz tones. Can’t be port, sealed enclosures, large ones at that. Now IB.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
At 6 Hz, you can move your hand back and forth 6 inches at that frequency, but you probably can't keep it up that long. At least, I can't.
Come on dude, can't leave yourself wide open like this. And FWIW I can keep up the hand motion long enough to get the job done, even if the amplitude may vary. lol

61 - 80 of 86 Posts