AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to buy a new reciever for myself as my old Prologic reciever is dying. It will be used for 50-50 music and movies. I have some brands in my mind:

Denon1804

YamahaRXV1300

Onkyo601

H/K avr325

MarantzSR6300

These all pretty much fall in my price range. I am more interest towards Yamaha and H/K but due some H/K QC issues, which I heard here, I am a bit confused. Has anyone used H/K AVR325? Will 50watts/Channel be enough? Any advice would be highly appreciated. I am located in Canada so buying online would may not be very convenient.

·
Registered
368 Posts
All of those receivers are nice receivers. They preform extremely well and I doubt you will be unhappy with either of them. As for the Yamaha look at the new RX-V1400 which should be here in Canada soon. It is the exact same price as the 1300. As for the 50 watts on the h/k that is more than enough. H/K is very honest in their power ratings and even though it says 50 watts x7 don't let it scare you. The 50 watts will put any receiver rated at 110 watts to shame. Only two other receiver brands that can give the H/K a good run for their money is Rotel, and NAD. These three brands make some of the most powerful rated truthfully receivers out there. I my self have just gotten a Denon AVR-2803 for an extra $400 CDN. I think future shop has the h/k 325 and 525 on sale with $500 off. I would take a look there and see what you can get. Overall, all of these brands are really good, but IMO when it comes to output power and music the H/K wins.

Is this for a 5.1 or 6.1/7.1 HT set-up?

Where about do you live in Canada?

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your reponse Golden Eagle.

I'm an albertan. I am interested in 6.1 HT system as I don't want to over crowd my room. 7.1 is kind of too much for me. Can I use a 7.1 as 6.1 reciever. I mean can I hook the 2 rear centre channels into one speaker.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes you can use a 7.1 receiver as a 6.1 set-up. When you do the set-up just set the surround back to one speaker and hook it up to the left terminal, which is probably the most common one. Really the rear info is a mono channel, whether you have 1 or 2 speaker they will product the same sound. 7.1 is really for people who have large rooms and or have to split it between two speakers for some reason. Alot do set up 7.1 to get a more enveloping sound. In my case I will be using all 7 channels for 2 reasons. 1: room is 30x22x8, and 2: on the back wall there is a fireplace smack right in the middle so its two speakers.

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not sure where you are, Technocrat999, but there's a Calgary store blowing out a truckload of Pioneer Elite 43TX's for $798, and IMHO, it'll roast any of the receivers you've listed above. I'm not sure if I can post the name here, but if you like (and can get to Calgary), PM me for details.

As a PS, I'm not affiliated in any way with the store or with Pioneer, it's just a great deal for here in Canada (where we normally get HOSED compared to US pricing). I had a refurbed 45TX on order from the US, but decided I'd be better off getting this model here in Calgary, and having the safety-net of the three-year Canadian warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure. I am located in Edmonton so they might have the same store here as well. All I know is that 'International Stereo' guys carry Pioneer Elites. Is there any other store that carries them too. Can you suggest any other reciever other than Pioneer.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In that price range in Canada I'd suggest checking out:

HK 325 at FS (on the clearout deal usually FS is a major rip off)

Denon 2803 (much better than 1803 and still under $1000)

NAD T752 (You can get one locally here in NS for about $1100)

That Pioneer 43TX for less than 800 is sweet that is HALF price from list here. I've not listened to it but for that price you probably can't go far wrong.

I was origionally looking at the above 3 and thought the NAD suited me most. Best sound quality, best power (although only 5 ch) and I HATE the Denon remote)

(I bought none of them I bought a Rotel 1055 but went over budget)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jamie

But NAD T752 seems to be 5.1 and I am looking for 6.1 reciever. I had heard real good things about H/K 325 and Yamaha before I came on these forums, my friends own them. But here I heard guys saying H/K have QC problems. I am planning to use this reciever for atleast 5 years so I am trying to find a reciever that is 6.1, Reliable and good sounding. That is one of the reasons I dropped Marantz because I heard people having problems with them. Pioneer Elite definitely seems tempting. And I haven't seen anyone here complaining about there built quality. So, about Yamaha's.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yamaha has a pretty good build. They are nice receivers but if you try to get them to keep up with a NAD or H/K in terms of power it just won't happen. I know NAD is coming out with their new T763 soon which will replace the T762 maybe you can get a good deal on one. The Pioneers are really built soild, and you can tell that from their weight. They did have some issues such as hadling a 4 ohm load but that has all been corrected. I know the new 53TX is the extact same price as the 43TX in Canada for some reason and the same goes for the 55TXi, still $2399 CDN. The 53TX is $1799.00 CDN my Pioneer dealer quoted me $1400 CDN for it, I am sure you can get the same or better.

Do you plan to add an external amp down the road? If so I think a Yamaha or Denon will do the trick until you get the amp.

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd put the Pioneer Elite 43TX near the top of the list BEFORE it was on sale. It's in the same ballpark as receivers like the Denon 3803 and the HK525 (better than the HK to my ears).

The store they're blowing them out at here is Soundsaround. Apparently, there was a double-order for their big sale here a couple of weeks ago, and they ended up with 190 EXTRA ones. oops!! So, I guess Pioneer Canada is helping eat the cost (since it's discontinued and they don't want them back).

If you don't have Soundsaround up there, maybe you can get International Stereo to do a price match? It seems like one heck of a longshot, though, because I think last dealer cost on these models was over $1200 CDN.

I auditioned pretty much everything I could get my hands on in this price range, and kept coming back to the Pioneer Elites (43 and 45), and the Denon, but the Pioneer was still edging in front for me. That was BEFORE the sale. At that price, it was a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot Dave

I just called International Stereo guys and they said the lowets they can go is $1299 for 43tx and they don't have a branch of Soundsaround here. I guess you are too damn lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am also looking for a reciever in this price range. $500-600 actually. I will be driving a pair of Polk RTi150s, and possibly some polk rears/center but I haven't purchased them yet. Might spend more on reciever instead, undecided...I have been told the Onkyo 601 is good by sales people, but I trust them only as far as they can be tossed ;) Would that be a good match for the 150s, enough power for them? I have a smallish room in an apartment, but got the big speakers on closeout so i splurged, figured why not, I'll keep them for a long time :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can also try giving Audio Ark a call in Edmonton, as they are listed as a Pioneer Elite dealer on Pioneer's web site.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Arbury, I will and I found couple of other places here as well. I guess since YamahaRXV1400 has come out they might be clearing out RXV1300 as well. Has any one any opinion about RXV1300 or should I stick with Elite.

·
Banned
84 Posts
I am planning to upgrade to H/K525 and I am selling my Yamaha RXV1300 that I bought 3weeks ago. Anyone wants it send me a PM. I am located in Edmonton as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
onecall.com has the HK525 for $611 US. don't know if this will help you in Canada but thought i'd let you know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Goodrich,

But H/K525 is way over my budget and I wouldn't spend so much money on a brand that has Q/C issues (which I found on quite a few threads here). This was the first reason why I was inclined towards Yamaha and Pioneer as I haven't seen that many(may be 10%) guys here having technical problems with them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hmm, i like the 601 a lot myself, but i work for circuitcity and dont know much outside of onkyo and harman kardon. I have the txsr-500 and i love it, i am just driving some bookshelf speakers but with the 601 you could power some nice towers. We use an HK 325 i think in our sound room and it sounds damn nice with 2 x rti150, CSI40, and 2 x fxi30.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TECHNOCRAT999
Thanks Goodrich,

But H/K525 is way over my budget and I wouldn't spend so much money on a brand that has Q/C issues (which I found on quite a few threads here). This was the first reason why I was inclined towards Yamaha and Pioneer as I haven't seen that many(may be 10%) guys here having technical problems with them.
those QC problems are long gone...if i'm correct, HK makes the equipment themselves now and most of the problems that everyone talks about are gone. i haven't heard of ANY widespread problems on the 325/525/7200 series at all. HK has a much warmer and ballsier sound than either Yamaha or Pioneer...just my .02!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.