AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5-year old Panasonic 50" plasma that I need to transport to a location about 150 miles away. I have the original manufacturer's packing box and all protection within it but, unfortunately, my vehicle (SUV) will only accommodate that box's dimensions as-is lying down. Here are the three options I've come up with:

1) Box/horizontal - Pack the TV in the box with all protection in place and lay on its side (everything I read says go upright if at all possible with a plasma, but would this be a huge risk for a 150-mile trip)?

2) No box/vertical - Wrap the TV itself heavily in bubble wrap. This would allow me to sit it upright in my backseat and I could also secure it to the seat with rope and put pillows on either side of it for even more protection and stability.

3) Modified box/vertical - If I reduce the height of the box about 2 inches, I can get it into the backseat, so...pack the TV in the box with the styrofoam supports on the bottom in place. Cut/bend the top of the box to the height I need. Place bubble wrap/pillows around the TV's mid-upper half as much as possible to protect it and prevent shift.

Any thoughts welcome...thanks!

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcade  /t/1505778/advice-for-moving-a-50-plasma/0_100#post_24078097

I have a 5-year old Panasonic 50" plasma that I need to transport to a location about 150 miles away. I have the original manufacturer's packing box and all protection within it but, unfortunately, my vehicle (SUV) will only accommodate that box's dimensions as-is lying down. Here are the three options I've come up with:

1) Box/horizontal - Pack the TV in the box with all protection in place and lay on its side (everything I read says go upright if at all possible with a plasma, but would this be a huge risk for a 150-mile trip)?

2) No box/vertical - Wrap the TV itself heavily in bubble wrap. This would allow me to sit it upright in my backseat and I could also secure it to the seat with rope and put pillows on either side of it for even more protection and stability.

3) Modified box/vertical - If I reduce the height of the box about 2 inches, I can get it into the backseat, so...pack the TV in the box with the styrofoam supports on the bottom in place. Cut/bend the top of the box to the height I need. Place bubble wrap/pillows around the TV's mid-upper half as much as possible to protect it and prevent shift.

Any thoughts welcome...thanks!

Your best option is to transport the set vertically. (2)

Ian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts