Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been reading for awhile and decided to get a projector for my system. I got a Barco Data projector with a 4x line doubler and a 92" screen.

My system has not arrived yet. I am looking for advice that I need when installing and setting up the system? I have no experience but I am an elec tech and fix electronics for a living. The things I read here seem a bit intimidating (manual adjustments and the like).

I would like to know what the pitfalls are for the beginner setting up a stystem? Should I put up the projector first? The screen first?

After that anything you can help with would be helpfull.

Thanks

Rich

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
A Barco Data..what??

800, 801, 808, ???

Curt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry,

It's a barco data 808.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi Richard,

Sounds like you will have yourself a nice system setup. Being a Barco Data 801s owner, I would offer the following advice:

Using the search function on the site here, look at as many of the Barco posts as you can stand. There is a lot of information on the current boards, and the archives. Some common advice for the Barco family include:

Use as much phosphor area as you can. This will mean placing your projector slightly closer than what the Barco Lens program would have you do. This will give you the benefit of having more phosphor being used to produce the same light output (which will allow you to lower your brightness/contrast settings, contributing to longer tube life). To practically do this, you widen out your image on the tubes to use the maximum area, leaving a small amount of buffer at the CRT face border (I think mine is about 3/16"), and use the electronic blanking to protect the side of the tube from beam energy (having the beam strike the side of the tube can result in premature failure of the CRT structure).

Static and mechanical setup are everything. Time spent getting things right here will pay huge dividends in terms of convergence stability.

The 70-30 rule. If you keep most of your electronic settings between 70 and 30, you should end up with a good, stable setup. If you can't get a good converged picture within these guidelines, stop and ask yourself why; chances are, you are compensating for a previous step that needs to be revisited.

Image to the right on the raster. If you leave the image centered in the raster, or even worse, towards the left, you are dealing with an area of the raster where the electronics are still stabilizing from the retrace. You will see that this is the area most prone to geometry anomalies, including a vertical flare on the top and bottom of the image. You may also notice a ringing on the image (will look like repeating vertical banding, starting at the left hand side of the image, and trailing off to the right).

There are more tips out there, as you will no doubt find during your search, but this should get you started.

Cheers!

Darrin

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would add that you want to make sure that the PJ is facing squarely to the screen. This will minimize adjsutments for bow and keystone.

One way to check for this is to measure the distance from the left edge of the projector chassis to the center of the screen and then measure from the right edge to the center of screen. These two measurements should be as close to equal as you can possibily can get it.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
The manual is at www.runco.com . Look in the CRT section and find the DTV 992. The manuals are at the bottom of the page.

Curt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for their help. My projector is at the docks and should be delivered this week.

I have been reading the manuals and all the posts in the archives. I downloaded the lens program but was unable to get it to work. The setup did not complete right after I extracted the files? In the instalation manual there are formulas and a chart to caculate the distance from the projector to the screen. Does this do the same as the program and work no matter what aspect ratio the screen is? I have the HDTV format screen comming.

I also read a post I think on the barco website about positioning the projector closer than the program and it said be carefull that you dont get the image off the crt like Darrin stated here. How much closer than the recommended distance would be best?

When I set up the projector do I need to do a seperate calibration for 4:3 material and 16:9 material?

Thanks again for the advice I will need it and use it!

Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm back!

I got the lens program to run now! Wish I knew how to work these computers!

Is all I need to enter is the SW and SH? I don't know what the freq is for and when I enter the SW and SH I get a negative ceiling distance. How do I tell the program how far down from the ceiling the unit will be or will it tell me?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richard
Hi All,

Been reading for awhile and decided to get a projector for my system. I got a Barco Data projector with a 4x line doubler and a 92" screen.

Rich
If by "4x line doubler" you mean a quadrupler, please note that this outputs 960p, which is beyond the range that a Barco Data can handle. (A Barco Graphics can handle this, but not a Data.)

A regular doubler, outputting 480p, is probably adequate, and a scaler outputting around 720p is ideal.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Robert,

I'll have to disagree.

A Barco Data 808 can indeed run 960p. It can scan high enough to accomadate this without a any problem.

There is however a school of thought suggesting that an 8" CRT cannot fully resolve a 960p image.

Basicly, as most know its all in the set up. Get that beam spot nice and tight and it can be done.

I've been running my BD 808s at 960p through my Cinematrix moded Sony 7700 for around a year now and can tell you that the image looks glorious.

Good Luck Richard.

Eric

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by uncle eric
Robert,

I'll have to disagree.

A Barco Data 808 can indeed run 960p. It can scan high enough to accomadate this without a any problem.

There is however a school of thought suggesting that an 8" CRT cannot fully resolve a 960p image.

Basicly, as most know its all in the set up. Get that beam spot nice and tight and it can be done.

I've been running my BD 808s at 960p through my Cinematrix moded Sony 7700 for around a year now and can tell you that the image looks glorious.

Good Luck Richard.

Eric
I should have looked further down to find out the specific model that Richard had. The 801 Data cannot do 960p/60; I will take your word that the 808 Data can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.