AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new laptop and I want to maximize the price/quality ratio for connecting to an InFocus SP4805.

From what I understand, the SP4805 works best with DVI out using a DVI>M1 adapter since the screen resolution doesn't work well with VGA>M1 on the SP4805.

I also want a 17" screen size (Firewire and IR-DA inputs would also be great but not a hard-set requirement)

Currently, the best option I could find was an Asus A7Mc which is available locally for around $1,400 which is the top end of my budget:

Processor: AMD Turion X2 TL52

Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GO 6100 integrated

Memory: 1GB DDR2 533/667MHz SDRAM

Hard Drive: 120Gb SATA HDD with Ultra DMA100 supported

Optical Drive: DVD+CD-RW Combo, DVD-Dual, DVD Super-Multi

Video Out: DVI, VGA, S-Video

TV Tuner: Hybrid TV Tuner (Analog+DVB-T)

Display: 17.1" wide (16:10) active matrix TFT, WXGA+ 1440x900 / WSXGA+ 1680x1050 (glare type / Brightness enhance version) /WUXGA+1920*1200

Asus A7Mc Specs on Asus Website

How does this look for HTPC use?

I've never used a TV Tuner on a PC before but that looks like a nice "plus" as well.

The Video Card is not the best from what I have heard (I'm no video card expert) and since it's integrated it can never be upgraded. Can I get by with this card?

The Asus A7Tc has NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 / 7600 SE DDRII 256Mb but it is several hundred dollars more.

Are there any other 17" Laptops with DVI and similar specs for less than $1400?

Thanks for any help!

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I'm not much of a graphics card wiz... what does "underpowered" imply? Will I notice a huge difference between the 2 cards? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? The difference in price between the Go 7600 setup and the Go 6100 chipset is about $150 and even the Go 6100 is at the top of my price range. I would consider the Go 7600 but only if it's a marked improvement over the Go 6100.

Anyone have any experience with these cards?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.