AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving in a few weeks, so my current room will have to be moved to a new location (select Appartment -- not my spelling) .

The entire space is mine for HT use. The tall wall has a kitchenette on one side, a bathroom on the other, and a former darkroom (filled with cabinets) in the center.

My working plan:

Place my screen on the wall above the stairs, covering the windows. This would require the screen to be mounted higher on the wall than it is presently, in order for it to be visible above the railing, even when reclined. I'd hinge it (to rotate up to the ceiling) for the times (not too frequent) that we would utilize the room for guest quarters. Or I'd just take it off the wall for those situations.

Cut a hole in the back wall, opposite the screen, and place the projector and all equipment in the old darkroom. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, but throw shouldn't be a problem. I'm at 13' in the current room, and that's the bare minimum. This distance is at least 14'.

Recliners in their arc about 3 feet from the back wall (allows doors to open).

Speakers in front of the railing. I'd also add side surrounds, and move the current side surrounds (direct radiators) to the rear for 7.1.

We will be painting (or more, see sound treatment question below) the room in a color scheme similar to our current room.

Questions:

Anything goofy about the room orientation that I should be aware of? I could rotate 90 degrees if the asymmetry of the ceiling won't be a big deal. The tall wall is out as a screen wall because of the doors.

I'll worry about the need for larger mains or additional subwooferage after I'm in and can hear for myself.

Sound treatments. I didn't treat the room I'm in now because I knew I'd be moving at some point (and here I am 10 months later...), but to be honest, I don't have any complaints. The vaulted ceiling, and the fact that we won't be moving again any time soon, might make this a candidate for more than just a paint job. Comments?

Thanks,

--Mike

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: We've moved in, and I'm in the middle of deciding how to orient the room.

Big question: How does the slanted ceiling affect this decision? Does symmetry count? If I face the short wall, with the ceiling rising front to back, I get symmetry, but the distance to the screen is short. If I face one of the walls where the ceiling is higher on one side than the other, I get a longer axis, but lose symmetry.

What should I do?

Thanks,

--Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.