AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to build my first home theatre and need help in choosing a new receiver and blu ray player combination that works well together.

If the receiver has excellent video processing and scaling, then the player should be basic and vice versa, so as to avoid redundancy.

Requirements for the player: audio cd, dvd and blu ray playback.

Would be nice to have: dvd-a, sacd, ipod compatibility

Requirements for the receiver: 3+ hdmi inputs, auto speaker calibration

Will be connected to: new blu ray player, WD TV Live - both via hdmi

Requirements for the combination: support for all popular audio/video formats, total budget $1,000

The room is rectangular - approx 18x12x10 feet (lbh). The television is a 46 inch Samsung B650 LCD.

Obviously, the objective is to get the best picture and sound quality possible. Also, I am very concerned about diminishing returns - if a $500 combo gives me 90-95% of a $1,000 combo, I would prefer the former.

·
The Village Idiot
9,826 Posts
The Oppo BDP-80 is probably as much BRP as most users will ever need. It plays everything you listed except the ipod. Thats the job of an AVR anyway.

Couple that with an Onkyo SR707 or a Denon 790/1910 and you'd have a great setup. Denon and Onkyo both sell ipod docking add-ons for their AVRs.

These AVRs have Audyssey MultEQ room correction software installed. Most like what it does for their setups.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you - thats exactly the kind of reply I was looking for!

The Oppo BDP-80 seems to have performed very well in the blu ray player comparison thread on this forum - I assume I should let it handle all the video processing/scaling? If so, should the receiver be set to 'pass through' the video?

Hence, my question is if my money would be better spent on a receiver that does not have a sophisticated video chip, but has a higher quality audio amplification section?

·
The Village Idiot
9,826 Posts
As you move up the $ scale you'll find video and amplification quality also move up. Denon AVRs have better video processing and Onkyo has more features - like more HDMI connections - in the NR807/RC180 you'll get an Ethernet ready AVR - in the Denon line you'd need to move into the 990/3310 for networking capability - add ~$500 for that.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Glad to see you started a thread....

What level/volume do you watch movies at or do critical music listening?

What speakers do you have?

Are you open to used or reburb?

If you have less sensitive speakers and listen at higher volumes then I still recommend the onkyo 805. If not then I would still go for onkyo, probably a refurb 707 for about $550. Difference is that the 805 have a more robust amplifier section and multeq XT but no dynamic eq and the 707 only has normal multeq (not the xt version) with dynamic eq and a less robust amplifier and transformer. The combination of features means that, yes neither has great scaling (let your player handle that) but the 805 is better for someone with higher listening levels or less sensitive speakers but the 707 will give a nice sound to someone without those needs or speaker requirements.

Both options are around 500-550 and you will have money for an oppo-83 which is the best scaler on the market.

NOTE: the 805 is very different from the 806 and 807.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the Oppo BDP-80 and the Onkyo 805 seem to be a good option.

How does the video quality of connecting the Oppo direct to the TV compare to say a Panasonic BD60 outputting in source direct mode to a receiver with the ABT2010 chip (the receiver handles the de-interlacing/scaling)? Specifically, the Denon 2310/890?

Also, is there a specific reason why I should prefer Onkyo over Denon or maybe Pioneer?

I like to listen at loud levels such that there is at least some visceral impact. And yes, I am open to considering refurb units, but am unsure about used units. As for the speakers, for the moment I will be using a set from an old Onkyo HTIB. For the future, I am looking at Paradigm, Infinity, Vandersteen or Magnepan.

Edit: I just read this excellent review . Seems the advantage of the ABT2010 chip in the Oppo 83 is only marginal.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Well I like onkyo because for audio features per dollar they are by far the best value. Denon is pricey and for a decent model with the same audio features (amp and eq) you need to go up to around $1000. Pioneer does not feature audyssey. Some might not care about this, personally I prefer to have it rather than not. Onkyo is proven, particularly the 805, to drive speakers close to or above spec.

From the speakers you listed you might even need an external amp (maggies) but the 805 handles 4ohm speakers very well in general

·
Registered
951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18131114

The Oppo BDP-80 is probably as much BRP as most users will ever need. It plays everything you listed except the ipod. Thats the job of an AVR anyway.

Couple that with an Onkyo SR707 or a Denon 790/1910 and you'd have a great setup. Denon and Onkyo both sell ipod docking add-ons for their AVRs.

These AVRs have Audyssey MultEQ room correction software installed. Most like what it does for their setups.

I have to agree with KH's recommendation. The Oppo is a fantastic player - I have a PS3, but I think the consensus from tech reviews I've read is that the new slim is not as good a CD/DVD player as the older models. Almost all Blu-ray players perform similarly from a PQ standpoint.

That said it would be more flexible to have the upscaler in the AVR/pre-pro but that kind of functionality bumps the price of those units considerably.

Lastly, something like the Onkyo will give you additional long-term flexibility by including pre-outs in case you deem an external amp would help at some point in the future.

Edit: I see you are driving Maggies, in that case I would go with the 805.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I'm quite sure I'll be going for the Oppo BDP-80. I will probably order it tonight.

As for the receiver, I'm still split between the Denon 1910/2310 and Onkyo 707/805 - a good deal on any model will probably swing the decision in its favor. What's a good place to look for the 805 online?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been testing the Oppo 80 over the last day or so with DVDs. The upscaling looks very good on scenes that are relatively stable. However if there is motion on screen, there are significant lines in the region that is moving. As such, the de-interlacing seems to be a little disappointing.

Will the Oppo 83 be better in this regard? What about a receiver with the ABT2010 chip (like Denon 2310/890)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.