AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have an Onkyo tx - sr605 AV receiver. I have been using 6yr old 5.1 speakers from a HTIB. I cant imagine Im getting the most out of my HD and AV receiver with these. I have 2 questions

1. My room is 11(w) X 14(D) . My viewing area is directly against the rear wall. Will I get the desired 7.1 effect with the rear channels above and slightly (less than a foot) behind me. Would I be better staying with 5.1?

2. I have been looking for a speaker system to upgrade to. Onkyo seems to get a lot of good reviews. ( 540 series, 750 series, 204(?) series) I watch about 75% movies and the rest is TV (HD and standard) Any advice or recommendations.

Id like to spend less than $500.

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
If your viewing area is against the rear wall, I would stick with 5.1. As for what speakers would be best for under $500, there are a ton of speakers you could go with. I am partial to the Infinity Beta's (now discontinued and super cheap), but there are a ton of options.

You might do better to buy LCR and sub with your $500 and use your HTIB surrounds for now and then later buy new fronts and move your LR to the rears or just buy rears later to match.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.