Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

I'll be wiring my uncles house this weekend up in Deleware and I had a few questions:

1. Since all outlets are low to the ground, is it best to wire all of the structured cable (2x5e 2xrg6q) under the house and then up to each outlet? There is 3' under the house to roll around on the concrete slab, so this is what I was thinking. Are there any reasons not to run it this way?
  2. Since we're using decora plates, is it ok to mount a low voltage box on the side of an electric outlet like this or will it cause problems with noise?: http://www.smarthome.com/images/2545...ample4_big.jpg This picture is kinda messed up since the outlet isn't decora too :)
  3. The central box is planned to be in the garage a few feet away from the main electrical breaker box... can anyone see any problems with that? The only thing I can think of is if it gets too hot in there or something...
  4. Does anyone have some good pictures of their SW boxes with structured cable? I'm looking to see hwo to run the conduits from the box to under the house where the cable will run
  5. any tips on the best way to secure the cable under the house and to the studs or can I just leave it unsecured? What about outside walls -- is there anything different to do for those?[/list=1]

Thanks alot!

Graeme

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Having a ranch is a dream to add structured cable. I wired up my new house with separate runs of Cat5e and RG-6QS. My wiring closet is also located in the garage and holds a patch panel, punch down block, 2 routers, switch, cable amp, cable modem, backup dialup modem, and sat multiplexer. I also have the dedicated 20A line for my office PCs stopping off there to connect to a very large UPS for a centralized battery backup. I ran all of my cable in the attic (I hate crawl spaces personally). I built myself a box made of wood to hold all of the components and the wires make their way to the attic through a piece of conduit. I secured all of the wires with velcro straps secured high along the trusses down the middle. Adding cable down the road is simple.

Have fun:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.