AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am using ceiling mounted Orb Audio speakers for my home theater. I really like the look, and would like to continue it in my zone 2 stereo setup. However I am concerned that the sound will be less than satisfying given the lack of a subwoofer in the second zone. Any thoughts on alternatives with a similar look that might have better sound in this setup are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I believe the reason you're not getting many responses is that, as far as I know, there just aren't a whole lot of speakers that look like the Orbs. Gallo might be an option. Unles you would consider spending 10+ grand, then you could look at the B&W Nautilus!

Another problem is that while you may consider the Orb to be stylish, some might think they're something other than stylish. Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder! Also, how large is your 2nd zone? Is there anyway you could incorporate a sub in there? Do you have speaker size issues? What is your budget? Most people here are more concerned with how a speaker sounds more than how it looks. Have you looked at Salk? The shape might not be what you would consider stylish, but Jim Salk does some incredible things with different veneers and finishes that are absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
206 Posts
aka "Lifestyle speakers" this type of speakers are not the value leader. They do appeal to those who are prioritizing low visual impact and size. You pay for the custom tooling and more finished materials.

I have heard the Orbs and they are alright. a bit thin to me, but I wasn't expecting much with the 3" driver. So many of the lifestyle speakers will be comparable. B&W has these: M1 3000 Satellite Series of Morel SA-2 sats for my surrounds and they are fine for that. Again comparble to Orb performance (but 8 ohms).

I find this type of speaker fine for background music but won't fill the bill for a new years eve party, even with a sub--they just don't push enough air with the 3" drivers. The Orb will likely be the least expensive, so maybe the best for you since you like them. The KEFs and Morels are much more $$$ but have 4"+ drivers.

hth,

ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts