AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just calibrated a sharp quatron and that yellow pixel is a nightmare!

Getting yellow to fall where it's needed was a B! Also I noticed green was wonky. Both falling far outsides the CIE standard. Anyone have any tips for the sharp TV's?

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
Nope - they are whacked. The on-board controls can't fix all the problems... you can make them MUCH better than out-of-box, but you can't make them anywhere near as good as something with good controls, like, say, a Samsung display.

You can't even fix all the problems with a Lumagen Radiance processor because some of the problems are low-luminance primaries or complimentary colors and video processors can't create higher luminance values than the TV can display natively.

The yellow... other than the unfixable luminance problem... my best results have been a proper color of yellow, but with a bit over saturation (outside the Rec 709 triangle) and a bit low on luminance. Out of box, yellow tends to be WAY oversaturated and WAY too green. You can get rid of all the excess green and you can improve the oversaturation problem, but you can't fix oversaturation completely. Other colors have similar or different problems... some can be fixed, some not.

The post-calibration problems were still quite visible to me. There was also a problem with Caucasian fleshtones that cannot be fixed with controls in the Quattron TVs. I could fix that problem with a Lumagen Radiance processor -- it required using the 21-point grayscale controls in order to remove problems that exist only at about the 95% white step. Caucasian fleshtones have a tendency to go gray or gray-green on some surfaces in some lighting instead of maintaining a nice balance. The 95% step in the Radiance processor fixed that -- but even with the Radiance processor, there were still problems cause by primaries and complimentaries with too-low luminance that can't be fixed with an outboard processor.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I calibrated a Sharp 835 with pretty good results. I found that in order to calibrate correctly the color gamut needed to be set to "standard". This mode is only available in movie mode which calibrated very well overall. After calibration colors looked very accurate while viewing reference material.

835 gamut.pdf 171.0439453125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
12,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 /forum/post/20794676

I calibrated a Sharp 835 with pretty good results. I found that in order to calibrate correctly the color gamut needed to be set to "standard". This mode is only available in movie mode which calibrated very well overall. After calibration colors looked very accurate while viewing reference material.

Is peak white really 17.2fL? Is this a flat panel?

·
Registered
870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/20795382

Is peak white really 17.2fL? Is this a flat panel?

Peak white was 26ftl. It is an led lcd.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 /forum/post/20796270

Peak white was 26ftl. It is an led lcd.

He's looking at your 100W big Y level on the 835 gamut.pdf attachment..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's funny the one I did had yellow trending into red falling far outside the ATSC range on a CIE chart.

And green was too yellow and again outside of ATSC spec.

Funny thing was red and blue were very close out the box.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51; /forum/post/0

Is the yellow sub-pixel activated when Color Gamut is set to Standard?

·
Registered
870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 /forum/post/20796325

He's looking at your 100W big Y level on the 835 gamut.pdf attachment..

Don't know why or how it reads 17ftl. Greyscale reads 26ft and the picture was definitely not 17ftl which would have been very obvious after cal.

I also did a cal on this set in standard picture mode with similar results except that green and blue were a little off.

I read the article which says that the yellow pixel is shut off in THX mode on the new Sharp Elites. I assume the yellow pixel is on in the standard gamut as I had nothing to indicate otherwise.

I have seen reports from CNET, Kevin Miller and ChadB who have calibrated the 2011 Quattrons and they all commented on how well the color gamut calibrated on these sets. Their charts all backed that up also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts