AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching this forum I have decided to go with the xr45 or d912k. This receiver will be used for a 6.1 home theatre. The speakers are modest by most standards but good enough for me :p

My wife and I are definately not audiophiles. I am just putting together a decent everyman setup.

Center Athena C.5

Left Right Athena S.5

Sub Sony SA-WM500

Left/Right/Center Rears 100w in ceilings (sorry its a big open room) ;)

I can get both these recievers online for about $300. Since I can't demo either one, I was wondering if anyone had heard both, and what their opinion was as to which is better. I want to pull the trigger, but I litterally can not decide which to get. The Auto setup on the pioneer is attarctive though.

I did see mentioned that the d914k and the XR70? are coming out eventually/soon. Does anyone know what the new features are and if it's worth waiting?

Any advice from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
my only issue with the d912k is the bass management (or the lack of) other then that it is a solid unit.

Jim

·
Registered
875 Posts
I had settled on the 912k when the xr45 came to my attention. I am, like you, an "everyman" listener. After checking into the xr45 I bought it over the 912k. The panny is a very good traditional receiver in that range, but the 45 does things as far as clarity in special effects and the isolation of specific instruments that I have not heard from a traditional receiver in this price range.

had it for three months and very happy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the panny xr45 and I really like it. I bought it to replace an aging JVC receiver for HT and playing music. I'm not an audiphile but to me it sounds like a great improvement. I had figured that I would have to pay a lot more for a unit this nice.

It does have a few limitations, but they are generally ones that you can live with. The xr45 does not do digital to analog convesion until it hits the amp, thats one of things they dropped to save money. So you can't use the unit to copy your CD player to tape if you use the digital inputs for the CD player.

The bass crossover on the unit only goes down to 100 hz instead of 80 which is normal. I don't have a sub yet so I don't know if this is a big deal.

The unit doesn't do up or down conversions on the video sources. So if you have a VCR using composite RCA cables and the DVD player using S-video you will need to run both an RCA and s-video cable from the receiver to the TV. Its not that big a deal and I don't think that you will find another receiver for $300 - $400 that does this either.

The spring clip bindings on the back SUCK big time. They are small and all squished together. You will NEED pin connectors on your speaker cables for the center and surround channels. The connectors or to small for bigger gauge bare wire. Even if you are using smaller wire the connectors are so close that the odds of stray wires shorting together are very good. The left and right fronts have small binding posts. Banana plugs work fine but I think that people have problems using bigger spade connectors.

The XR70 may or may not be worth waiting for. From what I've read it has a HDMI input and output. It would be great if you had a DVD player with a HDMI out. Panasonic will be selling one when the 70 comes out. It also have more binding posts, but the surrounds still have the small pin connectors. Personally I don't think its worth the wait. Having just one HDMI input means that it just won't hack it for a future HDMI based system.

·
Registered
616 Posts
What bass management features does the 912 lack? It at least has the basics:

• Use up or down to specify the crossover

frequency for your small speakers (100 Hz,

150 Hz or 200 Hz).

100 Hz

Sends bass frequencies below 100 Hz to

the subwoofer (or L speakers).

150 Hz

Sends bass frequencies below 150 Hz to

200 Hz

Sends bass frequencies below 200 Hz to

• If all speakers (front, center, and

surround) are set to L, the crossover

frequency can’t be set because there are

no S speakers ( appears in the

display).

LFE attenuator setting

• Default setting: 0 dB

Dolby Digital and DTS audio sources include

ultra-low bass tones. Set the LFE attenuator

as necessary to prevent the ultra-low bass

tones from distorting the sound from the

speakers.

• Use up or down to set the attenuation

level (0 dB, 10 dB or dB(∞ ).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the bass management tips. Those will definately help me. I guess I am leaning towards the d912k for ease of setup. I''m not to thrilled with the speaker connectors for the xr45 as described. Guess it's hard to jam all the connectors in such a small footprint.

Plus I am finding the xr45 harder to locate. It seems to be outa stock everywhere and it's never on ebay.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
616 Posts
There is another thread comparing the Yamaha 1400 to the 912. Sounds like the Yamaha is a nice unit for $550, if that's within your budget.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.