AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your help. I have a Harman Kardon HS-100 home theater in a box. I also have a Sony BDP-S350. Is there anyway I can decode DTS with my current equipment (no HDMI on HS-100)?

If not, can you recommend a course of action that won't make my wife want to withhold the goods (more than usual, I mean)? In other words, is there an economical receiver out there that will allow me to keep the speakers/bass amp I already have but give me the ability to decode DTS?

Sincerely, thanks to all who can lend a word of advice!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Is there something I'm missing? It decodes Dolby Digital and DTS. Just run an optical or coaxial cable from the Sony to the HK.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
You don't need a new receiver, you just need to read the manual!!

Just make sure your Sony BD player is set to bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS thru the optical or digital coax output.

page 44 and 45 of your Sony manual, set Audio Output Priority to Coaxial/Optical. And also make sure the Dolby Digital and DTS settings are just that and not set to Downmix PCM.

Of course make sure you are connected with an optical or digital coax cable.

You should be fine after that and maybe your lady will give you some!

·
Registered
883 Posts
"If not, can you recommend a course of action that won't make my wife want to withhold the goods (more than usual, I mean)? " If your wife regularly "withholds the goods" you need to upgrade the wife before upgrading your home theater...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. The problem is solved. For the record, I was running optical from BDP to HK and I actually had read the manual. Just wasn't getting any output on DTS discs. I checked to make sure I was in compliance with AfroGT's settings and I was. Just to try the alternative, I set DTS to Downmix PCM and that did the trick. Apparently, my HK doesn't decode DTS. The result sounds pretty damn good to me. Thanks again for all your help! If I can seduce the wife tonight, she'll be the one shouting "Porsche951" all night long.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm /forum/post/18203852

Thanks to everyone who responded. The problem is solved. For the record, I was running optical from BDP to HK and I actually had read the manual. Just wasn't getting any output on DTS discs. I checked to make sure I was in compliance with AfroGT's settings and I was. Just to try the alternative, I set DTS to Downmix PCM and that did the trick. Apparently, my HK doesn't decode DTS. The result sounds pretty damn good to me. Thanks again for all your help! If I can seduce the wife tonight, she'll be the one shouting "Porsche951" all night long.
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater...l#cnetReview-7

According to this review, your HK does decode DTS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 /forum/post/18203918

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater...l#cnetReview-7

According to this review, your HK does decode DTS.

Right you are, sir. I'll be damned if I can figure out how to prove it in my living room, though.

If I have the BDP's DTS setting at DTS instead of Downmix PCM, I get nothing. No sound at all except through the TV. This is the case regardless of the HK's audio settings. The same is not true of Dolby Digital, which plays just fine without settling for Downmix PCM. I guess it wouldn't hurt to go back and try every possible HK setting I can find while running a BD in DTS mode. For now, I'm just happy I can watch DTS BDs in 5.1 instead of 2.0

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
Well the S350 doesn't internally decode DTS-HD audio so I'm not sure what your getting when you change your settings to Downmix PCM.

What does the display screen on your HK say when you're playing a DTS Blu Ray movie?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts