AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I'm looking for some advice on combining different HDTV feeds.

I just got a Samsung HLP5663W which I am using with a DirecTV Tivo. As others have warned me, as soon as we saw it, we wanted HD as well. It seems like we have a couple of options:

1. Since I really want my Tivo, I can buy a HD Tivo for $999 (would much rather wait for the price to come down). That would let me get Sunday ticket and the movie channels in HD. I realize that I'll have to replace my dish and install the 4 wire feed. Any tips on the cheapest way to do it, since I am already a current DirecTV customer?

2. Is an alternative to subscribe separately to a HD receiver for DirecTV? That way we could use the Tivo for non-HD when we want to time shift and watch the HD live for the channels which DirecTV carries? It would cost another $5/month for the 2nd receiver on the TV but it could save some real money if the price decreases on the Tivo over the next year.

3. Since DirecTV won't give me local channels, I need to get them from cable (Comcast) or OTA. It seems like Comcast would be cheaper, since it only costs $5/month and avoids the need for the HD tuner. Currently, my Comcast "rides" the DirecTV input line into the Tivo, where I can use the A/B switch to watch Comcast. Can I do the same thing to get the Comcast HD picture or will I have to run a separate cable line to the STB at the TV and then run it into another input jack on the back of the TV? Any tips about the quality of HD from Comcast in the Chicago suburbs (Barrington)?

Since this is combining several feeds, none of the firms involved can give very good advice. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1) They are down to $899 now

2) You could do that, I actually use my HD receiver for regular viewing and a SD receiver for my Tivo now, still waiting for the price to come down a little more on the HD Tivo though I'm outputting an extra $18 a month between Tivo fees and the extra receiver fee. I find I only use my Tivo to few previously recorded material only now, not to watch live feeds.

3) Your best bet is just use an antenna, if your close enough to your local towers you could use an internal antenna to get your channels, check antennaweb.org to get your distances. This would allow you to use the built in tuner in the D* HD receiver and intergrate everything together into one input source.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
dic999,

As per #3, all DirecTV HDTV receivers have a built-in OTA tuner, so there would be nothing extra to buy if you decided to go that route.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

Granted that the D* receiver has an OTA receiver, but why not avoid the cost of the antenna and just get the basic networks from Comcast for $5/month?

Also, any advice as to how to most economically get the HD dish and wiring from D*?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dic9999
Thanks guys,

Granted that the D* receiver has an OTA receiver, but why not avoid the cost of the antenna and just get the basic networks from Comcast for $5/month?
You could get the basic networks from comcrap but they will not be in HD. You would need to get the box from comcrap to see the local networks in HD.

Go to www.antennaweb.org and see what you can expect to receive with an antenna, that should help you decide what you need to do

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Quote:
but why not avoid the cost of the antenna and just get the basic networks from Comcast for $5/month?
Note Comcast isn't just $5/mo. It's $5/mo for the HDTV box, plus $10-$16 for limited basic cable service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I get a HD Tivo for D*, and if I get either Comcast HD or OTA for local channels, can I record either the Comcast or OTA local channels on the Tivo?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought I'd let you know what finally happened. Since I've already been getting Comcast basic cable, I added a HD DVR for $10/month (Motorola 2 head). Wow, what a picture. Now, I have 2 DVRs side by side and just have to remember to use Comcast for HD and D* for non-HD. Bit of a pain, but a pretty easy solution (forgetting about the 3 remotes!).

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.