161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, lets get the specs out of the way:

Optoma HD70

Ceiling Mounted

Lamp in Econo Mode

Light controlled room

116" Winsonart Laminate screen

Seat's are about 14" back from the screen.

Tivo HD + Toshiba HDA3 hooked up via HDMI

Xbox 360 Hooked up via Component

Mac Mini Hooked up via VGA

------------------------------------------------

Right now, I'm pretty happy with my HD70, HD movies and TV look great, and playing Halo or Guitar Hero on a 116" is just awesome. However, I want 1080p. I've been waiting for 8 months for a reasonably priced 1080 projector to become available, and both the HC4900 and the PLV-Z2000 are in my price range.

Technically none of my components (excluding the mac mini) output in 1080p right now. I know the TivoHD can, but most HDTV signals I seem to be receiving are only 720p/1080i. I do plan on buying a PS3 as a bluray player in the near future. I'm not sure if I should buy that now, and wait for a cheaper/better 1080p projector, or get the projector now, and wait on the PS3.

Has anyone upgraded from an HD70 to one of these projectors? Is the quality noticeably better? Like I said, I have a 116" screen, and the room is light controlled, so I don't think the lack of brightness from the bulb on either projector is a big deal. If memory servers me right, the HD70 was in the same ballpark.

My big concerns are black levels, color quality, and an image that 'pops'. I do see that the black levels are a thing of discussion on both projectors. Coming from an HD70, will the black levels be worse? While the levels are not fantastic on the HD70, I am happy with them.

Basically, am I going to get a noticeable improvement by upgrading? Any insight or advise is greatly appreciated.

I have some pictures of my current projector below, I think it looks pretty good, but I can't make up my mind which to go with.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This is a very, very interesting thread. I too have been using the HD70 for a little over a year now and have been extremely happy with it. But the upgrade to 1080p is really, really starting to take a hold of me... even though, like you mentioned, most of my gear only outputs at 720p. I do have a PS3 though and my HTPC is capable of 1080 output...

I'd like to see how the responses come in on this one. I really have enjoyed my HD70... it has single handedly given my Home Theater a sense of "pimp" that is immeasurable. I have actually tried out a few other projectors while I've had the HD70... (Acer PH530 & Sanyo Z5) both of which I was unhappy with and ended up setting the HD70 back up.

I want 1080p...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
That's like joining Darth Vader to the Darkside!!

I'd like the totally SDE free 1080p also but we all dont sit 5' from our screens, and with some of the limitaions of the HD70, esp in the orange/yellow dept maybe it is time to move on!

The biggest consideration is it's only going to look as good as the source thats put into it.

1080p TV is still a long way off, sure there's 1080p HD-DVD and Blu-ray and the PS3, but i'm not into gaming so thats out.

And i really dont see much diff between 1080I/P anyway.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud-man /forum/post/12994592

That's like joining Darth Vader to the Darkside!!

I'd like the totally SDE free 1080p also but we all dont sit 5' from our screens, and with some of the limitaions of the HD70, esp in the orange/yellow dept maybe it is time to move on!

The biggest consideration is it's only going to look as good as the source thats put into it.

1080p TV is still a long way off, sure there's 1080p HD-DVD and Blu-ray and the PS3, but i'm not into gaming so thats out.

And i really dont see much diff between 1080I/P anyway.

I will say that the color quality on my HD70 is great, I think it's pretty accurate , so that's not a huge drive to replace it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Can we please get some feedback on this thread?

I am in the very same Dilemma. I have an HD70 that I am very happy with but I want to go 1080p.

I tried to swap my HD70 out for a Sanyo Z5 a few months back but I ended sending the Z5 back because it couldnt compete with the black level and cleanliness of the picture that the HD70 puts out. With all the praises that the Z5 gets from the HT community, I am very concerned that I will have the same experience with the Mitsu HC4900 mainly due to the fact that it's an LCD unit.

Do I hold out with my HD70 until there is a similarly priced DLP 1080p solution? or is the HC4900 a huge improvement over both the HD70 and the Z5?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking at getting an HD70 as my first pj. My room will have some ambient light, do any of you HD70 owners play yours with some light? The pics above look awesome.

Regarding 720 vs. 1080. I definitely think you should all upgrade to 1080 projectors. (and sell me your old HD70s!)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhol /forum/post/13142261

I'm looking at getting an HD70 as my first pj. My room will have some ambient light, do any of you HD70 owners play yours with some light? The pics above look awesome.

Regarding 720 vs. 1080. I definitely think you should all upgrade to 1080 projectors. (and sell me your old HD70s!)

I have had an HD70 for over a year and I definitely do not use it with any light at all. IMO it is a dark room projector. Any light on in the room seems to steal the life from it, but in the dark-as Borat would say "very nice".

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Just as an aside I bought a PT-AX200U to upgrade from my HD70 and was left completely unimpressed. I would love to see some impressions in this thread from anyone who has gone from the HD70 to a 1080 projector. For me moving to another 720p unit, while it was brighter, was otherwise a non event.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If the two proposed projectors had better black level they might be a worthy upgrade-since they don't I think you would be disappointed. I think the BenQ w5000 would give you better black level than you currently have plus the extra resolution. It would be more of a complete upgrade.

·
Registered
500 Posts

Quote:
If the two proposed projectors had better black level they might be a worthy upgrade-since they don't I think you would be disappointed. I think the BenQ w5000 would give you better black level than you currently have plus the extra resolution. It would be more of a complete upgrade.

Having done that exact upgrade I can tell you that your gains will be in punch and color in brighter scenes. (by far) but not in darker scene contrast, nor in black levels. This suggestion is good, the W5000 or a 1080UB would be a better upgrade.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually ended up deciding to wait on the upgrade for now. Instead I put all my extra money into some more construction on the theater, black ceiling tiles, new couches, PS3 Blu-ray player, a riser and soon to be star ceiling.

the 1080p can wait till september

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm in a similar holding pattern.

I have an HD70 and have had it now for over 16 months. I am still very pleased with it's performance and I don't have any green or red issues as some seem to have. I would love 1080p but I don't think I can go LCD. Over all LCD performance has improved but I like what DLP brings to my screen. I would like to see an HD80 come down 50% or more in price and see what that would give me. But until then, my HD70 is great!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
OK in my HD70 upgrade quest I have learned quite a bit over the last 2 weeks. As I mentioned above the PT-AX200U did not wow me and was not any significant upgrade from the HD70.

So I ordered a HC4900 and was extremely excited! I fired it up and once again I felt the upgrade was marginal. On its own merits the 4900 was great but in comparison the HD70 it was not the dramatic improvement I was hoping for. I found black levels on the 4900 to be adequate but I was watching a concert on MTV and the overall scene being very dark looked lifeless. I switched over to my HD70 much better! One thing about the 4900 that was awesome was sharpness. Another thing I could not keep out of my mind was the dust blob issues that seem to plague some LCD PJ's (like this one) but not DLP a whole lot.

Now with all of that said and it looking like no other projector under $3000 was going to satisfy me, I started to wonder how I could improve my HD70. I sat down with it last night for 4 hours playing with the various options in the menus. I very quickly realized that I had never given it a fair shot, all my settings were on the defaults. I changed mode to bright from cinema, whoa....much nicer everything popped a lot more than on cinema. Switching back and forth between bright and cinema I could not believe the difference that it made, I watched it like that for a year? I am no professional and who knows maybe by using bright I disturb some other aspect of the picture quality but for me it was a 100% improvement choosing this setting alone. Then I went to gamma and chose film, video gamma made the image even brighter but I felt it was a bit washed out so I stuck with film.

Up to this point I thought the only way to brighten the image was to choose the high lamp mode but I am not happy with the fan noise in that mode. Everything I did above keeps the PJ in low lamp mode nice and quiet and yet the image is so much brighter!

The bottom line is this: The HD70 is a great performer. I realize this now more than ever. I put it up against two heavyweights and it is still more than standing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts