AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Christmas gift for my best friend, I'd like to get a fairly decent, progressive scan, multi-region, play PAL on NTSC TV, DVD player.

220-electronics has the JVC-XV500. They claim that it's a fully PAL/NTSC compatible, region free unit that can do 16:9 PAL on an NTSC TV.

codefreedvdmart has the Daewoo 9000N and the Philips 724.

How good are these units?

How reputable is 220-electronics? (I know that Matt Stevens has a beef with them because of thier claims about 16:9 PAL->NTSC conversion....will the JVC do what they say it will?)

How reputable is codefreedvdmart ?

Please reply ASAP so that I can get the unit in time.

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

XYNZ

I

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
xynz,

You can get high quality multi region players, but I'd avoid the PAL->NTSC conversion option. Usually this results in a degradation of the signal.

You didn't say where you are located (a PAL or NTSC country) and where your friend was located.

If you can forget about that feature (PAL->NTSC conversion), then I guess the Philips (963, Q50) are probably the best choices. They can be converted to PAL relatively easily and are good players.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I would say USA cause that's were Matt Stevens is from.:)

Poster I have a JVC XVS500BK I bought their player already mod with ICOS mod.

It does the trick as advertised it will do a x, y, scale on PAL discs from UK R2 and Australia R4.

JVC mod plays a anamorphic PAL disc without a stretch being seen, I now have 61 R2 & R4 discs. I would buy another, they are located in state of IL, they ship by UPS.

For R1 I have a Toshiba SD-4800 with zoom that I can turn off the icon and watch non -animorphic disc 1 size up with black bars for a tad bigger wide screen. Poster I don't know Matt Stevens beef with 220.com is about.:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend's TV will only handle an NTSC signal. I want him to be able to view any DVD...so the DVD player will have

to be able to do the PAL -> NTSC conversion.

Cheers,

XYNZ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.