AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need some buying advice. I need to get a sub and I'm trying to figure out what my best option is. What I'm working off of right now is a few models that a buddy who's a dealer gave me. I gave him a budget price of $400 with another $100 or so of wiggle room if there was a better option.

Out of what he gave I was look at the Epsiode C5-SUB10 or Velodyne MiniVee 8" .

Size is a factor. I can't really go bigger then then 19"x13" footprint of the Episode. Something like the Velodyne DLS-3750R with its 18"x15" footprint would be workable too.

The room it will be going in is fairly small, about 10'x11' with 10' ceiling. It's also in a condo with one of the walls attached to the neighbors, so I can't go too boomy. I'm mainly looking for good sound quality. It will be used mainly for movie/tv use with a little bit of music, probably a 85/15 split.

Any opinions on which route would be better to go between those units or any suggestion on an alternate solution?

Thanks

· Registered
3,937 Posts
I would typically say go with the ported box, but in this case I'm not so sure. The MiniVee has a large amp, sealed box, and tons of WAF. The box in the episode sub looks a little small for a good lower tuned sub. It looks like it would be tuned to somewhere around 35 hz just based on enclosure size and dual smaller ports.

The minivee seems like the winner here. especially with a smaller room like you have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.