AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panny AE900, Pioneer Elite 45TX, Pioneer ELite DV-F07 DVD Jukebox.

I use component to the Panny frm the Pioneer 45TX and switch the DVD Player and Digital Cable Box via component through the receiver.

I'd like to get a good processor to upscale the DVD Player (not progressive scan but a fine DVD player). I'd also like to hookup either a Wii or a new XBox 360.

I was thinking of picking up a used Iscan HD. It has DVI output. Is there a DVI to component adapter? Where could I find one?

Or do I have to run an HDMI Cable 25 feet and use a DVI to HDMI Adapter?

I really did not want to spend $2000 right now on a VP20 and it appears I could get a used Iscan HD for about $600.

I'm happy with my system as is now and don't plan on upgrading to a new receiver or DVD Player for the next several years.

Any thoughts? They would be appreciated.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP /forum/post/0

I was thinking of picking up a used Iscan HD. It has DVI output. Is there a DVI to component adapter?

Pretty sure that DVI is digital and component is analog. So a D/A converter would be needed, rather than a simple converter cable. If the best your display will take is component, then just do component out from the video processor.

It's been awhile since I owned one, but my memory is that for analog output the Iscan HD did not have an RCA component output. Just DVI passthrough and the 15 pin VGA. (I might be confusing the DVDO with a Faroudja VP I used to have). If so, you would need a breakout cable from Dsub15/VGA to 3 RCA component (or 3 BNC component if your display takes that). Analog to analog.

Also the HD is not the same as the HD plus. The former does not have HDCP, so if you ever get a display which takes DVI, there might be handshake problems. I've never fully understood that stuff, but I don't think there is a handshake with component video since it's not digital. I guess that means the HD is fine for analog connections, but the HD Plus is needed for digital connections.

Quote:

Or do I have to run an HDMI Cable 25 feet and use a DVI to HDMI Adapter?

There are pleny of cables which are DVI to HDMI without need for the adaptor, and the extra contact point. They're very cheap too, since DVI has lost favor. But why would you consider that if your display doesn't take HDMI input?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thanks for the reply................I appreciate it......

My display does take HDMI input................I was just trying to avoid running a long HDMI cable. I need about a 25 ft cable Plus its just a pain.

So from your info, it sounds like I need the HD+ or a newer VP20/30 series to do this right for the future.

Or I could get the "Dsub15/VGA to 3 RCA component adapter" and use that output inanalog on the IScan HD.

Is that right? Do you know where I can get the above adapter?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:

My display does take HDMI input................I was just trying to avoid running a long HDMI cable. I need about a 25 ft cable Plus its just a pain.

I don't see a problem with 25 feet of HDMI. Secrets does reviews on different HDMI cables to make sure they can carry a 1080p signal that far without an amplifier/extender. A pain? Not as much as 25 feet of component video cable.

Quote:

So from your info, it sounds like I need the HD+ or a newer VP20/30 series to do this right for the future.

Yes, if you're sending a digital signal, ie DVI or HDMI. If not, then you don't have to worry about an Iscan HD's inability to make a HDCP handshake with the display. That handshake won't happen in the analog realm.

Quote:

Or I could get the "Dsub15/VGA to 3 RCA component adapter" and use that output inanalog on the IScan HD.

Is that right? Do you know where I can get the above adapter?

Well if you are gonna stick with that unit and make an analog connection, you need to go to DVDO's website and look at the back of the HD. I don't remember if regular component cables will work or if a breakout cable is needed from VGA. Very unsure of my memory on that. Or just call them. Normally very helpful people.

I've never run analog video cables that far. No idea if it's a problem. I assume not since many people use front projectors, which often take VGA connections, and I assume that an inwall ceiling connection will normally be more than 25 feet from video source.

It's not so much an adaptor as it is a 1 piece cable. If you do require a breakout cable (that's IF), I've seen some Bettercables silvert serpents on ******* in the past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.