AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for purchasing advise for a new AVR unit. My budget is $1000 -$1500. This is my situation: I currently have 2 plasma TVs side by side (65" & 40") in my television room. I'm looking for an AVR that I can connect both TVs to that will allow me to switch between them with audio and video. I don't need both audio going at the same time, but be able to play audio from one or the other. Currently I have an xbox one, xbox 360, cable box, blueray player, wii u, wii and Apple TV, so the AVR will need at least 7 hdmi ports in and at least 2 or 3 hdmi outs. 7.1 or even 7.2 would be better, I don't want to go back to 5.1 anymore. The 65" tv is 3D so it will need to have 3D pass through, 4k isn't necessarily needed because I won't be buying another TV anytime soon. Network capability is a must without using an Ethernet cable ( I'm fine with purchasing a wifi adapter), also an mobile app that is user friendly and detailed would be a big plus. I'm not looking at throwing a concert in my tv room so a huge amount of power isn't necessarily needed, but I want a nice clean crisp sounding unit. I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V1075 2 days ago, and I'm not that happy with it, it won't play audio from the second TV, and it didn't find the app very helpful and didn't have enough features for me, so it's going back. That was the first AVR I have ever purchased, so I have no real loyalty to any brand. Any advice is greatly appreciated, or even specific models that are recommended so I can look into them.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If you want audio from both TVs you might not find anything. Pulling audio back from the TVs is Audio Return Channel, and most AVRs only have ARC on one output.

But if all your sources are running to your AVR and then to the displays, you shouldn't need ARC.

That's all I really have to offer at this point, but I'll think on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply thrillcat. Not sure if this helps anyone but my old setup was a Panasonic 5.1 surround system and I had multiple hdmi splitters (4) that would run to each tv for each source (xbox, Apple TV, cable, etc.) then ran digital audio out from each tv to a switch that ran back to my surround. That way I could switch the audio source to the surround from each tv with the switch, but it was very inconvenient. As an example I like being able to play xbox on one tv with the surround and then have the football game on the other tv. Then if there was a good play or the end of the game I could pause the xbox, then switch the audio from the first tv to the second tv and listen to the football game on the surround. My issue is that I have to physically get up to switch the audio over from one tv to the other and also I don't have enough hdmi inputs on my TVs to hook up all my units (xbox, Apple TV, cable box, etc.) that I have. Basically I'm looking for an AVR or other product that I can plug all my units (xbox, Apple TV, cable, etc.) into then simply run 1 hdmi to each tv that way I could pick which source I wanted playing on each tv and pick which TVs audio would be playing over the surround system. And be able to easily swap sources to each of the TVs with the push of a couple buttons on the AVR. I'm hoping to accomplish what my old setup did just without the need for splitters and switches and all the extra wires. Im not sure if a product that will do all this even exists, or if I'm just dreaming. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
490 Posts
You might get some additional perspectives over in the "Receiver, amps and processors" forum.

[As an aside - and this is definitely not a criticism, just a personal observation/preference - I find monolithic blocks of text, like in your posts, to be a little overwhelming and I invariably get bored + lose the plot when I attempt to wade through them; I personally digest multiple, smaller paragraphs much easier. Having your specific question in a standalone single sentence, or in a paragraph with just 2 or 3 sentences allows a reader to hone in on it straight away without having to read everything else. Okay...I'll stop writing now!]

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kane  /t/1520089/advice-needed-for-avr-purchase#post_24433191

That's not exactly the advice i was looking for.

Why not? The other forum would definitely be a great source of advice.

....and if you were referring to my 'aside' I again reiterate that it wasn't a criticism, just making an observation and voicing a personal opinion.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Surprisingly enough, the King did take my advice and posted over on the receivers forum....and actually parsed his question into easily digestible bite-sized sentences.........and.... got a bunch of very informative responses!

I know I didn't give him "the advice he was looking for", but to paraphrase **** Jagger, ...you can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need.....

..and props to jayn_j - there seemed to be consensus around the Denon X4000 being a good fit

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Purchase made, Denon x4000. It still won't do exactly what I want, but I can make it work. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Admin, please close thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts