AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Advice Needed for CD/SACD Transport

Hello All

Here is my question. I have an Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier that I also use as a dedicated 2 channel preamp. I am looking for a no thrills SACD player that meets the following requirements;

Does not require a display/TV to utilize functions
Can play 2 channel SACD HD Layer of discs
Has IR Remote control
Support up to 24/196 playback
Preferred to be A4 size
High build quality
Multiple digital outputs (AES/EBU, coax, optical)

I currently have an Oppo BDP-95, but would prefer to leave that dedicated to the playback of movies and DVD-Audio discs (which very few I have). I have utilized this unit in the past for CD, SACD, and WAV playback but want to steer away from having to use the TV to navigate the unit functions. I am aware that the Oppo can pass all it's supported formats via HDMI, but I wish to untilize my Oppo HA-1 DAC for pure stereo listening. I also have digitized all my CD's into FLAC format for playback on my HTPC but being in the IT business for the last 30 years, if I have learned anything it is that all digital media can be corrupted so I want to have the ability to play back the physical media. I have done a lot of research and have come up with the following units. I would like some feedback on these units from people who have owned them or had any experience with them. Here is my short list;

Project Audio CD Box RS
Rega Apollo R
Marantz SA-8005
Teac CD-2000
Teac PD-501HR
Yamaha CD-S2000
Cambridge Azur 651C (CD Player Only)

The one thing I would like to stay away from is getting a unit with a built in DAC as I would not require that funtionality. This leaves only the Project, Teac PD-500HR, and Rega which I would be more inclined to purchase. My budget is around 1300 tops which does exclude the Yamaha although I can get the unit for close to that.

Please guys just honest opinions, I know all Digital sounds the same ect, ect. I am just trying to get some feedback on things like, build quality, features, ease of use, and reliability.

:)

I knew I should have kept that Carver 490-t

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I'm shopping for a new CD spinner since mine can be a bit skippy after 18 years, and have been looking at the plain Tascam CD-200.

It doesn't have all the features you mention, but I'm really only interested in getting the digits off a CD into a coax or toslink cable.

--

Your thread title threw me - I thought you were looking for a CD Transport

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm shopping for a new CD spinner since mine can be a bit skippy after 18 years, and have been looking at the plain Tascam CD-200.

It doesn't have all the features you mention, but I'm really only interested in getting the digits off a CD into a coax or toslink cable.

--

Your thread title threw me - I thought you were looking for a CD Transport
I apologize, actually I am looking for a CD/SACD transport with more of an emphasis on the CD side. I have a few SACD's but about 2000 CD's in my library. Call me old fashioned, but myself and the wife still prefer to buy CD's than going the digital download route.

Thank you for the suggestion BTW, I will look at the specs of the mentioned unit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about it, it may be unlikely to find a SACD playback device without DACs.

Isn't there some artificial prohibition about outputting the digits (HDMI maybe excluded)?
Yes, you are correct, and you can thank Sony for that. You cannot output SACD through coax or optical but since my HA-1 has analog inputs I would utilize those for SACD output. HDMI can output SACD but only if your Preamp/Receiver can decode DSD through HDMI. A lot of the full size units, AKA Yamaha, Cambridge, and TEAC will output SACD through there respective analog outputs but I am trying to keep the unit at the desktop aka A4 size. It looks like I am norowing it down to the Teac, Project, or Rega at this point. Do you know or have any experience with any of those by chance?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Received the TEAC PD-501 HR

None at all...[/QUOTE

I received the TEAC PD-501HR transport yesterday and it works as well as I had hoped. It has an outstanding build quality (I must say as good as my HA-1), very quite operation, and interfaces with both my Oppo HA-1 headphone amp via optical, and my Yamaha CX-A5000 preamp via RCA without issue. It reads burned DVDs with WAV files, redbook CD's, and CD-RW discs without issue. This unit makes a very simple and stable transport for those looking at devices such as this.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts