AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4910 PJ, Pioneer SC-1523K AVR,AT Falcon Screen,3 x1099's,4 x Volt 10's,iNuke+ 2xDA RS Subs
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I am in the early stages of design for our new dedicated theater and am in a bit of a dilemma when it comes to the equipment choices. So I presume the best place to ask is on here. The room will be soundproofed as much as my budget and skill allows. I will mostly be listening to movies but will definitely be enjoying lots of music as well. So likely a 70/30 split in favour of movies. I would prefer a 7.1 set up and am open to DIY on the sub with the 18" Dayton Audio sub and casing catching my eye. But am also open to any retail suggestions. As for speakers, I'm not sure if they will be out on show or behind a AT screen, so again am open to advice and suggestion. The budget for the speakers is around $3000, so fire away ......

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
If you are willing to DIY for the sub, you should look at DIY for speakers too. You could get an amazing setup for $3k if you go DIY. The DIY kits you should be looking at for a dedicated room are something like SEOS and Pi . Both very good speakers with tremendous dynamic range. In you budget I would be looking at Fusion Sentinels or Pi Four kits . With the Pi Fours, I would go for the upgraded woofer and compression tweeter- the JBL 2226 is a tremendous mid bass performer.

If you don't feel like screwing around with DIY that much, you might check out the JBL 3252n speakers for the front stage and some JBL 8320 for the surrounds. Supposedly you can get that setup for under $3k as outlined by this post . Even as powerful as a Dayton 18" HO would be, it still would not match the dynamic capability for that JBL front stage or even come close. If that JBL system interests you (and at those prices for dedicated theater setup, it really should!), I would strongly consider building more than one Dayton 18" sub, you might consider building two, three, or even four, depending on your room. Remember the cost and time spent per unit comes down when you build multiples. The same thing goes for Pi Fours or Fusion Sentinels, their dynamic range is so powerful that a single 18" isn't enough to keep up with them.

·
Registered
JVC RS4910 PJ, Pioneer SC-1523K AVR,AT Falcon Screen,3 x1099's,4 x Volt 10's,iNuke+ 2xDA RS Subs
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing with DIY is it's an unknown with me. I presume they come with instruction and there are enough images and YouTube videos on 'how to'

If it means the set up is much better value then it is very tempting. Those JBL's look sweet but how will they be with music?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The JBLs should be great with music. Speakers like those will expect a bit more setup than ordinary speakers, after all, they are intended for professional installation. However, it wouldn't be that difficult.

As for assembling the DIY speakers, that looks pretty easy although I haven't done it myself. Here is a video showing the construction of one of the SEOS speakers:
Cutting the wood would be the trickiest part, but you can get pre-cut flat packs for that, or just have a local cabinet builder do that for you. There is a ton of help from experienced guys in the DIY forum here , and the Pi and SEOS kits also have their own forums for assistance, SEOS here and Pi here . There are other DIY places like Part's Express Tech Talk forum with lots of knowledgeable and friendly guys who would be willing to give you advice and instructions. So if you go DIY, you won't be on your own to try to figure that stuff out. If you go DIY with the speakers, you can used the money saved to go with more subs, because with those kind of speakers, you will need them.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon  /t/1522835/advice-needed-for-dedicated-theater#post_24498535

That's a great video and makes it look fairly straight forward, now I need the next part of fixing the speakers and crossovers etc...will try to find some on YouTube

The crossovers would be made for you. Pi sends you completed crossovers, and I think that DIY Sound Group does now as well. Mounting the drivers and crossovers is the easy part. Remember, the trickiest part is cutting the wood right, but, like I said, you can probably have someone do that for you, for a fee.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon  /t/1522835/advice-needed-for-dedicated-theater#post_24520172

Wondering what people's thoughts were on this set with an extra sub and FL/FR channels http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Acoustech-PL-89-Theater-System/dp/B001UHDMXE/ref=pd_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0JD6T4Q2N5M8WW63HJ07 been reading good things about them, but would they struggle to fill the room?

BIC makes solid and reasonably priced speakers and have been doing so for over 40 years. Hsu Research (a highly respected ID company) helped with some of their subwoofer designs. BIC has always been known for producing no nonsense and good value speakers and subwoofers, which carry good warrantees. I agree with Shadyj that their subs are not in the league of the ID subwoofers that are often mentioned here, especially the higher-end ID subwoofers. Still, I think BIC's top-of-the-line subs and speakers would fair surprisingly well, and I doubt many can match them in their price category. However, I don't see the value in the link you provided. Matter-of-fact, I think it's a ripoff. If you want BIC you can cherry pick from their best speakers and subs (although the PL-200 seems to be their best sub) and beat that price handily.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great advice guys. If I decide to go with an AT screen then the DIY route is practical as the finish isn't that important. However, if I do decide to have speakers on show then finish and aesthetics are also very important as well as obvioiusly the sound quality.

Hearing lots of good things about lots of different companies which makes it very hard to decide. SEOS, JTR, JBL and HSU are all appealing to me in different ways. As for subs, again DIY or likely SVS for me I think........arrrrrrgggghhhhh, it's only the very early stages and I'm already confused.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Another more affordable option is the Chane Theater 10 . These are an updated version of the popular Chase Sho-10 (The company has merged and reformed) and would be a great choice for a dedicated theater. They feature the same high efficiency design as the ones mentioned above, but you won't need to worry about building them, and you will have more budget for subs.

You could buy 3 of these for the front, and use the JBL 8320 for surroudns, or just get 7 of these to go around. I agree though you should be looking at two subs minimum, the more the better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.