AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, bear with me...

From lurking, I have gathered that popular opinion does not hold the Sony receivers in very high estimation (putting it mildly) but I am not satisfied that I have seen as many opinions from folks that have actually evaluated this new receiver in person. ...especially those that might have evaluated both the Sony 920 and Onkyo 606 and can compare.

I was very impressed with the 920 stats until I started reading all the anti-Sony sentiment. (I'm not saying its not justified... I don't know, I've never owned one.) The Onkyo 606 is no doubt quality, but on paper, it doesn't match up with the Sony in features like scaling to 1080p.

How important is the scaling? I plan on buying a 67" Sammy or 73" Mits and, for the time being, my only HD source will be a PS3. Will I be missing out if my non HD sources are only scaled to 1080i?

I need to stay at $400 or under, so these two receivers seemed like the best options.

Any feedback that you can give me would be appreciated, especially from those who have had the chance to judge both units in person.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
did you do a search here for the sony you are looking at buying?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
IMO no $400 AVR, regardless of the manufacturer, is going to do a stellar job of scaling so I wouldn't count on one of these receivers transforming a low resolution analog video signal into "near HD quality". Also remember that if the new TV has 1080p native resolution then it will scale everything to 1080p. Like I said, JMO.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pretty sure I'm getting the 606 but just want to be clear on one thing: 1080p & 1080i HDMI signals are untouched by the onkyo and the video gets to your tv as if the onkyo weren't there at all?

I understand the 480i/480p/720p to 1080i HDMI upscaling isn't so great but everthing I use to already 1080x (PS3/XBOX360/CABLE HD DVR)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts