AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide whether to go with N805s or N804s. I've read as many posts and reviews as I can find, and there seems to be equal love for both models. My use is about 70% HT and 30% music. I have a Paradigm servo-15 sub, so low bass really isn't an issue for HT use.

The room I'll be using these in is about 10' by 14', and I'll only have about 1 foot clearance from the side & back walls. Given what I've read it seems that placement might be an issue for the N804s.

Any thoughts on which may work best would be greatly appreciated... and by the way I already have the HTM1 center and love the B&W sound, so please no recommendations for another brand...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you already have the HTM1, you should get the N804s which match in design and drivers.

I was going to mention checking out NHT's amazing M5s or M6s which I just bought after much auditioning, but I just saw that last sentence :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your system is going to be mainly HT get the 805's. If your preferences leaned toward music more, the 804's would be the better speaker.

With the 804's (805's as well, but to a slightly lesser extent) placement is important. You would be compromising the 804's abilities to perform if you only gave them a 1 foot clearance from the walls.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
If you do a search, you will find many posts where owners swear that the N804 or up should be used with the HTM1. If you had the HTM2, I would absolutely suggest the N805 as they use the same drivers and are essentially the same speaker. The HTM1 is essentially a N804. You can always cross the bass out of the N804s in order to keep them from being negatively impacted by the wall proximity. At least, any moreso than with the N805s. Done right, it will have a very good match whereas the N805 won't match nearly as well. Matching is more important with HT than with two channel music.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you thinking of purchasing one pair (i.e. L&R main) or two pairs (L&R Main, L&R Surround)?

-j

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SFJoe- My current thought is to start with two mains and then eventually replace my surrounds. Right now I have CDM 7NTs up front and 1NTs in the back.

I understand about the importance of matching the speakers, but honestly I've been running the HTM1 with the 7NTs for about 3 months and I'm not at all bothered by what I hear, in fact anyone that comes over for a movie is quite impressed... I figure either way (805s or 804s) it can only get better.

I auditioned the HTM2 and wasn't nearly as impressed as with the HTM1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just my opinion, but if you already have the HTM1, I'd highly recommend going with the N804s. I have an HTM1 Center and N804s for fronts and rears. I had a pair of 805s, I tried in the front and rear and for movies and music, the 804s were the clear choice. As an interesting side note, once you consider the cost for the B&W stands for N805s, the cost for N804s is only a couple hundred dollars more. The HTM1 and 804s create a seamless front sound stage, even with my less than optimal placement.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your replies... I auditioned the 805s and 804s on Friday and after less than an hour I knew the 805s were the right choice for me. The soundstage seemed much wider for the 805s as we switched back and forth between the two.

To my surprise, the salesman was steering me toward the 805s (even though they cost less), and said that often customers who buy 804s return them and go with the 805s.

After settting up the 805s on Friday night I didn't even get past playing music CDs... these are fantastic sounding speakers... and I still have many hours to go before they break in. Now I just need to find some time to sit down and watch a movie.

·
Registered
579 Posts
As another 805 HT owner, welcome! I'm using my 805s with the HTM2 and I'm very happy. Of course, I don't want to know how the HTM-1 sounds in comparison because then I wouldn't be happy.

Seriously, I use the 804s in a stereo set up separate from my home theater and couldn't be happier. Either Nautilus speaker brings happiness.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JayF
SFJoe- My current thought is to start with two mains and then eventually replace my surrounds. Right now I have CDM 7NTs up front and 1NTs in the back.

I understand about the importance of matching the speakers, but honestly I've been running the HTM1 with the 7NTs for about 3 months and I'm not at all bothered by what I hear, in fact anyone that comes over for a movie is quite impressed... I figure either way (805s or 804s) it can only get better.

I auditioned the HTM2 and wasn't nearly as impressed as with the HTM1.
Since you already have the HTM1, I'd go for the N804s, as they match the HTM1 better than the HTM2. If you're ever thinking of listening to multi-channel music, 5 identical speakers is definitely the way to go. I use the 805's as front and surrounds, and the HTM2 as center. I've listened to the 804's and 805's, and I personally preferred the 805's; with a good sub, I don't feel you're missing out on anything, for HT or music. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy. Oh, and they really do need to break in for quite a long time; I was kicking myself for a few weeks thinking I really picked the wrong speaker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.