AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new home and planning to install home theatre systems in it. The previous owners used to have Bose systems ALL OVER the house and left quite a few speakers mounted on the walls.

Here are what I got with this house:

5 satelite cube speaker arrays in the family room withouth center channel speaker, 5 satelite speakers (including a center channel speaker) in the media room, 2 CineMate speakers in our bedroom, and two 151W outdoor speakers on the deck.

I know Bose speakers are hyped and many say they are craps, but given my current budget, I am going to keep these speakers so that I can spend more money on other goodies such as TVs, computers, and a projector.

I am looking for compatible parts (amplifiers, subwoofers, receivers) to work with all those bose speakers. I don't know much about the products in the current market (other than the fact that Bose systems are hyped and pricy, and their bass modules are crap
). I would really appreciate some suggestions and recommendations from you guys.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huh /forum/post/0

I just bought a new home and planning to install home theatre systems in it. The previous owners used to have Bose systems ALL OVER the house and left quite a few speakers mounted on the walls.

Here are what I got with this house:

5 satelite cube speaker arrays in the family room withouth center channel speaker, 5 satelite speakers (including a center channel speaker) in the media room, 2 CineMate speakers in our bedroom, and two 151W outdoor speakers on the deck.

I know Bose speakers are hyped and many say they are craps, but given my current budget, I am going to keep these speakers so that I can spend more money on other goodies such as TVs, computers, and a projector.

I am looking for compatible parts (amplifiers, subwoofers, receivers) to work with all those bose speakers. I don't know much about the products in the current market (other than the fact that Bose systems are hyped and pricy, and their bass modules are crap
). I would really appreciate some suggestions and recommendations from you guys.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, there are issues with using those speakers sans the bose electronics (whatever they call the bass module). You might actually be better off trying to sell them all off on Ebay (I hear they're quite popular there) and using the proceeds to build yourself a nice little non-bose system.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I also thought about that. But the problem is that those speakers are already mounted on the walls. If I sell them for something else, I will need to unmount them, and then repaint the wall or mount something else. Are there any speakers that can readily replace those holes in the wall?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
There are many speakers that are wall mountable.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree with Scott above. Also, the little cubes do practically nothing below about 200hz, so you'll either have to cross over any sub you come up with at a ridiculously high frequency and make it localizable, or have a big hole in your response.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You will likely want to use new speaker locations anyway. Pull off the cubes, fix the walls. It's all part of new home ownership, right?

Leave the outdoor speakers on the deck. I believe these would be a more normal type of speaker, and you can power them with a standard stereo amp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the advice, I am definately gona get rid of those Bose cubes.

I think I may use some similar-sized satellite speakers such as NHT's SuperZero-xu or polk rm6801 to replace those bose cubes, so as to avoid the hassle of repainting the 2-story family room. Any suggestions on the selections?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Take a look at BA Micros. When I was replacing my Bose set up (AM-10) that was the only speaker I thought had a better sound than Bose. The truth is there is no magic bullet. Most of these sat speaker set ups from other makers sound very similar to the Bose cubes, or at least they did to me. I almost scrapped the whole idea of replacing them until I heard the Micros, but I actually decided to just go with bigger speakers. I am using Def Tech Pro Cinema 100's and 80's for rears right now with a supercube II sub. I was in a botique store listening to the paradigm sats and the guy said "What do you think? " I said I think I am sticking with the Bose because these sound about the same. Then he played the Def Techs and there was a bigger difference with the 5.25 drivers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.