AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,


I need a little advice on setting up my tv above the fireplace but my mantel is too high. Here is a picture. I'm going to either cut down the current mantel or get a smaller one. If I get a smaller one do you know if they make mantels with speakers built in? Since I don't think I have enough room on the side of the current mantel to put speakers. I would like to have the right and left speaker in wall or in mantel. The center speaker I can keep on top of the mantel.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts
Looking at the layout of your room, I do not think that placing TV over fireplace is a good idea. I would keep it where it is now, but put surround speakers in the corner over floor lamp. That way you will have TV at eye level, where it is supposed to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/17048083


Looking at the layout of your room, I do not think that placing TV over fireplace is a good idea. I would keep it where it is now, but put surround speakers in the corner over floor lamp. That way you will have TV at eye level, where it is supposed to be.

True but I would like to add a second sofa and by putting it over the fireplace I can do that. Where it is right now only 3 people can watch TV. I know there will be a little neck strain but that's why I want to drop the mantel down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Do you use the fireplace ?. If so , restrictions on material set backs in relation to firebox opening must be adhered to , other wise INSURANCE NULL AND VOID !. Be careful there .


If building or having a custom mantel built , enclosing speakers into isn't a problem ( normally ! )


Pillars could be ported via the sides , component selection needs to measure up with pillars volume looks like you'll need an out let or two extended in the sides of the pillars also .


I sincerely DOUBT that height of your existing mantel will change appreciably


that's the only real draw back I fore see . Perhaps towers in the corners would be appropriate ?


If the TV has to go above the center of mantel , a large wall hanging bracket with an articulating


arm ,which allows the TV to come out and below the plane of the firebox may work .


However what happens too TV temp when fire place is used !!!!!!!!!!!!!. A 20 lb. load in a 10 lb. room presents problems . LC ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuspick /forum/post/17048972


hahaha, sorry wrong wording. By placing the tv over the fireplace I can add a second sofa.

Thanks, anyway. It afforded me a relief from my standard recommendation of placing the center speaker in the fireplace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCarbon /forum/post/17049273


Do you use the fireplace ?. If so , restrictions on material set backs in relation to firebox opening must be adhered to , other wise INSURANCE NULL AND VOID !. Be careful there .


If building or having a custom mantel built , enclosing speakers into isn't a problem ( normally ! )


Pillars could be ported via the sides , component selection needs to measure up with pillars volume looks like you'll need an out let or two extended in the sides of the pillars also .


I sincerely DOUBT that height of your existing mantel will change appreciably


that's the only real draw back I fore see . LC ...

Sorry LordCarbon I'm not sure what you mean by this:

"restrictions on material set backs in relation to firebox opening must be adhered to ,"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
I have exactly the same issue in a new house that we closed on Thursday.


The mantel will move 2 brick courses down and I already have a HTD Flat Panel as a center (25 X 5 X 5). This will be cut into the existing mantel. I don't think neck strain will be a problem. Viewing distance is 11 ft.


As far as the "heat" is concerned it's a gas fireplace and I can't see us using it that must here in Dallas. Maybe a few times in the winter.





Paul
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/17048083


Looking at the layout of your room, I do not think that placing TV over fireplace is a good idea. I would keep it where it is now, but put surround speakers in the corner over floor lamp. That way you will have TV at eye level, where it is supposed to be.

That's buzzakly what I was thinking. It's a really nice, cozy room the way it is. I have never understood the fascination with televisions placed five feet off the ground above a fireplace, ruining one of a home's nicest details. (Of course, I don't understand corner televisions, either...or Spanish. I don't understand Spanish...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, here's another picture of my room. I want to be able to add a second sofa facing the fireplace directly by the half wall we have. If I put it there now viewing the TV in it's current spot will not work. It will be on too much of an angle. I don't really have any other option.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright I did some more research and I don't think I will be placing the TV over the fireplace because I wont be able to cut down the mantel. It would be against a fire code. The fireplace and top of the mantel have to be at least 12" apart according to the fire code in my area. Any other suggestions on where I can place my TV and speakers. Above is a better picture. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
So you were able to decipher the " Fire Code " . Combustible materials must be held back from the actual fireplace OPENING a perimeter if you like . 12" sounds correct so mantel can't come down in height .



Now For a RADICAL CONCEPT !. How about articulated arm holding the flat screen suspended from the ceiling adjustable tension spring or a lock up lock down affair .


What good are ceilings anyway , their simply a sixth wall as the floor is the fifth .


Allows you the freedom to do nearly ANYTHING with the room .


Think about that . speakers can then go just about where ever you want them to .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
PAUL250268 ; I see a possibility if you want the TV over the left side of the fireplace wall , then tower speakers either side of the mantel pillars ,center speaker above the mantel . Everything with in the plane of that wall


Now surrounds too the sides and rears too the back . Provided The Focal point of the room will be the fireplace as far as the furniture arraignments are concerned .


I've seen a few setups and fronts along with center channel matters very little Provided their all in the same plane and 4 Ft.+ separation between fronts . Focal point is Screen Not sounds as they should be all around you RIGHT !!!. LC ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuspick /forum/post/17048101


True but I would like to add a second sofa and by putting it over the fireplace I can do that. Where it is right now only 3 people can watch TV. . . .

I infer from this that you wish to place the second sofa opposite the first...? Can you live with the tv moved away from the windows and FACING the fireplace? That way your 2 sofas can still be placed facing each other, and the only speakers on the 'fireplace wall' [if any!] would be [small, and elevated!] side and/or rear surrounds...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuspick /forum/post/17051404


Ok, here's another picture of my room. I want to be able to add a second sofa facing the fireplace directly by the half wall we have. If I put it there now viewing the TV in it's current spot will not work. It will be on too much of an angle. I don't really have any other option.


Ok, I see it better now. How about placing TV on the left side, where sofa is now. And then you just need U shaped sofa (seats 5?) along right wall occupying right corner also. Drawback will be discarding existing sofa completely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 /forum/post/17056602


Ok, I see it better now. How about placing TV on the left side, where sofa is now. And then you just need U shaped sofa (seats 5?) along right wall occupying right corner also. Drawback will be discarding existing sofa completely.

The problem with that is behind the sofa currently is an opening that see's right into the kitchen. It's pretty much an opened wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
riser and another couch.... seems like your existing couch is farther than the recommended seating distance should be anyways. Seriously I have no idea but good luck with whatever you decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuspick /forum/post/17057350


The problem with that is behind the sofa currently is an opening that see's right into the kitchen. It's pretty much an opened wall.

I do not see a big problem with it. You also can close it with stained glass.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top