AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at HDRP sets for about a month. With the ongoing technology changes I want to purchase my first HD set but don't want to break the bank but do want to get a decent set. I will have cable HD and well as SD, I use a DVD player as well as VCR from time to time. The sets I am considering at this point are

Optima RD 50 DLP from Costco at about $2000 plus shipping

Toshiba 46HM84 DLP from Costco at about $2500 plus shipping

Sony KP46WT520 CRT at about $1350

My room can handle a 50 inch screen size max but a 46 will work fine. The $2500 is about the upper limit of my budget at this point for the TV (I have a stand that I think will work)

I would appreciate feedback on whether paying from $700 to $1200 more for DLP is worth it?

I have read some posts that the Optima does not have a HDCP compliant connection (is that important, not sure what it is)?

Has anybody experienced the PQ of any of these sets, feedback from owners or those who considered them would be apprecaited.

I was leaning toward the Sony but with Costco open return policy in case of disatisfaction I must admit I have been leaning toward the purchase of a set from Costco.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you are going to be watching alot of SD with some VHS, I would go with CRT. It handles SD better than most LCD and DLP. As far as that Sony KP46WT520, you might consider the Panasonic PT47X54 instead. You should be able to compare the two at circuit city since they carry both. I think you will find the Panny to have better picture, at least most people find the Panny to be more impressive than the Sony.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would stay away from DLP because the technology is not yet perfected. The Sony would be my preference for the sets you mentioned. I was all set myself to get the Panasonic 47X54 as a 2nd set, but the Sony just stood out from all the other sets in the showroom. The picture just looked more detailed, natural looking, and smooth. I went with the 51ws520.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went the exact opposite. I was looking at the 51ws520 and now I've decided on the pt47x54 which I'm probably gonna buy on Wed. I'm sure it's what I want since my friend ended up getting one a week ago and I've had time to check it out off the showroom floor and play around a bit.

Edit: And, to me the picture on the panny looked more detailed, natural looking and smooth. This is why asking others isn't the greatest way to make a decision. Although, I started a thread similar to this and found it helpful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgriffing
I would stay away from DLP because the technology is not yet perfected.
No technology is perfect. With DLP, there are really only two potential problems... the rainbow effect (which most people can't see) and dithering (which you most likely won't notice at normal seating distances).

With CRT, the imperfections include a very narrow viewing angle, a softer picture (which can be a plus for SD material) and the very real potential for burn-in.

To the original poster, I'd go with CRT if you mostly watch SD material and money is an issue. But DLP is the better choice for HDTV, and if you plan to use your TV as a computer monitor or wish to play video games, I'd choose any technology over Rear Projection CRT (save Plasma).

As for the Optoma RD50, it may be last year's technology, but it is the BEST of last year's technology. It produces an amazing HD image with realistic colors. The DVI is not HDCP compliant, but this is only an issue if you want to connect to your cable box via DVI. If you decide you need HDCP compliance in the future, Optoma will perform the upgrade for $400.

Really, at the price Costco is offering this TV for, it is a no-brainer.

Mine should arrive this week! :)

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
I would put in another vote for the PT-47X54. It's the best CRT RPTV I've seen in the 46-47" size.

If you don't notice DLP "rainbows" and expect to spend a lot of time watching high-def sports, then the Toshiba 46" HD2+ DLP would be a very good choice too, especially at the price Costco is asking.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
I also think DLP is the best technology overall right now, as long as you are not one of those who see rainbows. Like all technologies, including computers, each generation may get a little better, but not dramatically so. I bought my Samsung DLP 14 months ago, and absolutely love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.